POLL: Do you support post offices doubling as banks?
New York Democrat Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Sen. Bernie Sanders announced a proposal to convert post offices into functioning banks and institutions of financial services. The two Democratic Socialists believe the idea of postal banking will help do the following:
- Provide relief to low-income Americans.
- Allow low-interest loans, checking and savings accounts, debit cards, check cashing, bill payment, ATM services, online banking services and electronic money transfers.
- Prevent Americans from falling victim to lending malpractices.
The Treasury Department is against the proposal, claiming the USPS has limited expertise in handling financial operations and the transition would be risky. The USPS office has also publicly commented on similar proposals before, stating their goal is delivering, not banking.
Do you support the idea for post offices to double as banks?
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: Screenwriter Behind ‘The Hate U Give,’ Dies Day Before Film Premiere
- REPORT: AOC makes shocking statement about Mitch McConnell
- REPORT: Trump Administration Makes Decision On Granting Venezuelans Temporary Protection
- BREAKING: Retired Supreme Court Justice dies at age 99
- EXCLUSIVE: Chris Pratt criticized for wearing patriotic flag shirt; here’s how you can take a stand
- REPORT: Trump fires back with blistering tweet at Tillerson over Putin statement
- REPORT: 18-year-old pilot and pageant queen dies in fiery plane crash
- Elementary teacher suspended over sexual orientation talk with students
- REPORT: Mexico makes stunning claim on where funding for migrant caravan came from
- VIDEO: Kevin McCarthy condemns House vote on Trump’s ‘go back’ comments