POLL: Was Rep. Ilhan Omar’s apology sufficient?
Freshman Congresswoman Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) found herself in hot water with her fellow Democrats Sunday evening and Monday morning, after posting two tweets considered to be anti-Semitic, in which she suggested that lawmakers defending Israel were motivated by money.
Omar, a Somalian refugee, and her colleague, Palestinian-American Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.), became the first Muslim women to be elected to U.S. Congress in November. Both have been outspoken against Israel.
After Omar’s Sunday evening tweets, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, along with other Democrat leaders, issued a statement calling on her to apologize, writing, “Anti-Semitism must be called out, confronted and condemned whenever it is encountered, without exception. We are and will always be strong supporters of Israel in Congress because we understand that our support is based on shared values and strategic interests.”
Omar did comply with the request, issuing a statement of apology, in which she wrote:
“Anti-Semitism is real and I am grateful for Jewish allies and colleagues who are educating me on the painful history of anti-Semitic tropes. My intention is never to offend my constituents or Jewish Americans as a whole. We have to always be willing to step back and think through criticism, just as I expect people to hear me when others attack me for my identity. This is why I unequivocally apologize.”
However, Omar refused to apologize for her criticism of the American Israeli Public Affairs Committee’s (AIPAC) “special interest influence,” adding:
“At the same time, I reaffirm the problematic role of lobbyists in our politics, whether it be AIPAC, the NRA or the fossil fuel industry. It’s gone on too long and we must be willing to address it.”
She also re-tweeted comments by a journalist defending her, who made the case that her criticism of Israel was not to be interpreted as a slam against American Jews.
PLEASE TAKE OUR POLL BELOW – WE WANT YOUR OPINION. Was Omar’s apology for her anti-Semitic remarks sufficient?
Trending on DML News
- VIDEO: Pint-sized Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez impersonator cracks up the internet
- CLAIM: Sri Lanka: Seven arrested for Easter Sunday jihad massacres, death toll passes 190
- REPORT: Former Obama White House counsel set to stand trial
- REPORT: Mexican troops drew weapons on American soldiers on US side of the border
- VIDEO: Fox News Contributor Says Hillary ‘Gave’ Russians Money During 2016 Campaign
- About (ratings)
- UPDATE: Cops questioning suspect in connection with sickening Brooklyn ax murder, victims identified [VIDEO]
- REPORT: Grassley warns White House not to oust any more top immigration officials
- VIDEO: April Ryan slams Mike Huckabee in fiery Twitter feud
- VIDEO: President Trump Keeps His Promise To 95-Year-Old WWII Vet