POLL: Was Rep. Ilhan Omar’s apology sufficient?
Freshman Congresswoman Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) found herself in hot water with her fellow Democrats Sunday evening and Monday morning, after posting two tweets considered to be anti-Semitic, in which she suggested that lawmakers defending Israel were motivated by money.
Omar, a Somalian refugee, and her colleague, Palestinian-American Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.), became the first Muslim women to be elected to U.S. Congress in November. Both have been outspoken against Israel.
After Omar’s Sunday evening tweets, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, along with other Democrat leaders, issued a statement calling on her to apologize, writing, “Anti-Semitism must be called out, confronted and condemned whenever it is encountered, without exception. We are and will always be strong supporters of Israel in Congress because we understand that our support is based on shared values and strategic interests.”
Omar did comply with the request, issuing a statement of apology, in which she wrote:
“Anti-Semitism is real and I am grateful for Jewish allies and colleagues who are educating me on the painful history of anti-Semitic tropes. My intention is never to offend my constituents or Jewish Americans as a whole. We have to always be willing to step back and think through criticism, just as I expect people to hear me when others attack me for my identity. This is why I unequivocally apologize.”
However, Omar refused to apologize for her criticism of the American Israeli Public Affairs Committee’s (AIPAC) “special interest influence,” adding:
“At the same time, I reaffirm the problematic role of lobbyists in our politics, whether it be AIPAC, the NRA or the fossil fuel industry. It’s gone on too long and we must be willing to address it.”
She also re-tweeted comments by a journalist defending her, who made the case that her criticism of Israel was not to be interpreted as a slam against American Jews.
PLEASE TAKE OUR POLL BELOW – WE WANT YOUR OPINION. Was Omar’s apology for her anti-Semitic remarks sufficient?
Trending on DML News
- VIDEO: FL sheriff releases footage of moment boy, 15, arrested for threatening a school shooting
- REPORT: Democrat councilwoman sworn in on Dr. Seuss book [PHOTOS]
- REPORT: California Supreme Court rules on lawsuit challenging unusual bullet identification law
- REPORT: Fact Check: Elizabeth Warren Crowd Size Reports May Be Inaccurate | Breitbart
- VIDEO: NYT columnist points out the ‘scandal’ that media didn’t cover on Omar, Tlaib Israel trip
- REPORT: Daily Mail: Photo of Epstein Pal at In-N-Out Was Staged
- BREAKING: Network beats Fox News in key ratings for first time in 17 years
- UPDATE: HUD moves to crack down on undocumented immigrants in public housing
- REPORT: The Mooch Says He Was ‘Wrong’ About Trump In Blistering Op-Ed
- REPORT: Gov’t Delivers 100,000 Cheap Visa-Workers to Disney, Tourist Industry