POLL: Was Rep. Ilhan Omar’s apology sufficient?

BY TEAM DML / FEBRUARY 11, 2019 /

Freshman Congresswoman Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) found herself in hot water with her fellow Democrats Sunday evening and Monday morning, after posting two tweets considered to be anti-Semitic, in which she suggested that lawmakers defending Israel were motivated by money.

Omar, a Somalian refugee, and her colleague, Palestinian-American Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.), became the first Muslim women to be elected to U.S. Congress in November. Both have been outspoken against Israel.

After Omar’s Sunday evening tweets, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, along with other Democrat leaders, issued a statement calling on her to apologize, writing, “Anti-Semitism must be called out, confronted and condemned whenever it is encountered, without exception. We are and will always be strong supporters of Israel in Congress because we understand that our support is based on shared values and strategic interests.”

Omar did comply with the request, issuing a statement of apology, in which she wrote:

“Anti-Semitism is real and I am grateful for Jewish allies and colleagues who are educating me on the painful history of anti-Semitic tropes. My intention is never to offend my constituents or Jewish Americans as a whole. We have to always be willing to step back and think through criticism, just as I expect people to hear me when others attack me for my identity. This is why I unequivocally apologize.”

However, Omar refused to apologize for her criticism of the American Israeli Public Affairs Committee’s (AIPAC) “special interest influence,” adding:

“At the same time, I reaffirm the problematic role of lobbyists in our politics, whether it be AIPAC, the NRA or the fossil fuel industry. It’s gone on too long and we must be willing to address it.”

She also re-tweeted comments by a journalist defending her, who made the case that her criticism of Israel was not to be interpreted as a slam against American Jews.

PLEASE TAKE OUR POLL BELOW – WE WANT YOUR OPINION.  Was Omar’s apology for her anti-Semitic remarks sufficient?

1. Suzanne February 11th, 2019 at 4:37 pm

Remember, in their book, it’s okay for them to lie. I don’t like her, I don’t trust her and I do not like the fact that she sits in Congress. She offends me.

2. Katin February 11th, 2019 at 4:44 pm

Yep, I agree she offends me. The Muslim ideology is evil. Allowing Muslims into government is a grave mistake, the great Trojan horse. This country was founded on Christian values

3. Douglas Schmitt February 11th, 2019 at 4:53 pm

As a Muslim she should never, never have been elected to Congress. The stupid people who voted for people like her will find out some day how bad their decision was to vote for them

4. Bernard February 11th, 2019 at 5:27 pm

Please take her out of offices

5. Jim February 11th, 2019 at 5:39 pm

She accomplished her goal. She wanted “her people” (the folks who want to destroy The Jewish people) to hear her proclaim her intentions. It’s a trumpet call to other radical Muslims. So, sad we are allowing people with intentions like this into our government as leaders.

6. MJ February 11th, 2019 at 5:46 pm

I’m offended, very offended that she sets in Washington and has any say. She wasn’t sorry that she said that. She was made to ask for forgiveness. GET RID OF HER NOW! That’s the kind of people that the stupid Democrats enjoys leading our Country. We’ll soon have no say so, if we don’t put a stop to all this nonsense. If continued, our Country will be ran by the Muslims and evil forces of the Democrats. I’m praying for President Trump, that God will deliver him to be free from this mess soon, and he will build that Wall and carry us through to a better…. “Keep America Great”

7. Mara February 11th, 2019 at 5:50 pm

Let her and the others keep talking. Better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. They’re giving us a peek of what’s between their ears.

8. Gary February 11th, 2019 at 7:20 pm

We already know what she thinks and it’s bad.

9. Mike Merker February 12th, 2019 at 6:23 am

She is as about as sorry as a dog who gets caught eating a steak it stole off a plate.

10. Audrey February 12th, 2019 at 11:45 am

For 1 it is NOT A TRUE apology! AND 2 because of what she TRULY stands for and if she could get by with it ,she would do it again. GUARENTEED in private she believes that way. BAD FOR AMERICA & ISRAEL!!!!