POLL: Do you support a 4-day school week for kids?

BY TEAM DML / OCTOBER 9, 2018 /

DML News aggregated a report from the Wall Street Journal Tuesday that highlights a new trend taking shape in the US: the 4-day school week.

According to the WSJ, the 4-day school week saves school districts money. It also “lifts morale” among the teaching staff.

Dennis Michael Lynch will cover this topic during his program THE TRUTH on Tuesday (10am EDT Facebook.com/DMLdaily).

Do you believe a 4-day school week is a good thing?

1. James Bobka October 9th, 2018 at 8:47 am

No, but I’ll take a four day work week!

2. Roxane October 9th, 2018 at 9:30 am

We have kids around here that are hoodlems and no I don’t want to stand guard 0f personal property!

3. Donna October 9th, 2018 at 9:40 am

Would our taxes go down? I doubt it. Think of the burden that puts on working parents. Schooling is a job and kids need to get used to a 5 day work schedule. This sounds like something thought up by teachers unions or cash strapped school districts. Quit educating the ESL kids here illegally and the money will be there.

4. Vicki October 9th, 2018 at 10:35 am

All part of the dumbing down of American youth. They’re concerned with staff morale? Really? Why? What’s wrong with their morale that less work would solve? They already have the whole summer off. This is ridiculous.

5. Bea October 9th, 2018 at 11:46 am

For general Ed, yes. On the 5th day, make truthful US History and Civics mandatory half the day, and how to handle finances the other half.

6. Audrey A Lamar October 9th, 2018 at 1:10 pm

In most cases both parents work or a single parent works 5 days a week. I have seen first hand (because I have worked daycare in the past) where it makes it harder on the parent. Most people get a break (money wise) when child is not there all day, or having to get a sitter last minute so they can work. ESPECIALLY elementary schools, those children don’t have the stamina to be there longer in a day. And if you do 4 days = longer days= dinner later=bed time later + home work.

7. Cynthia October 9th, 2018 at 1:48 pm

My daughter is homeschooled through Acellus Academy online, she does all her work in three days and has four days off. Sometimes she takes a week off but she is also working on two grades at once. If public schools used their time wisely we could have our children learning at a faster rate and involved with their education process. There’s no excuse for kids to be last in education.

8. Robert October 9th, 2018 at 1:49 pm

No, but at least it is less indoctrination…

9. Larry October 9th, 2018 at 4:00 pm

NO the burden on my family to find some to baby sit an 8 hr day would strain us to debt. I do hire a teenager for the weekends. I hold down 2 jobs as it is. Luckily I’m off very early to spend time with the kids.

10. Rod Howland October 9th, 2018 at 6:13 pm

As dumb as they appear they need a six day school week so I guess 4-days is a NO! I had to run an emergency errand at 1:00 p.m. west coast time so forgive me for not getting this in sooner!

11. Emily Walker October 9th, 2018 at 7:02 pm

Some think schools are set up for child care. They are not. BUT, children need the 5 day week for learning, educating as teaching now lacks this intention. I say utilize the 5 day education process and include a job training day even at a young age to train children what to expect in the world, not “what do you aspire to be when you grow up?” and get shrugged shoulders. Find their interests and work towards it. How many artists , writers or a teacher (etc etc)has been over looked?