Portion of California declares it’s independence from state (video)
The U.S. might be on track to get a 51st state.
In an unprecedented move, officials from rural counties of California have announced plans to create a “New California” and secede from the Golden State. They cite their reasons for the move due to issues such as over-taxation and a poor business climate.
CBS Sacramento reports the following:
“SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — With the reading of their own version of a Declaration of Independence, founders of the state of New California took the first steps to what they hope will eventually lead to statehood.
To be clear, they don’t want to leave the United States, just California.
“Well, it’s been ungovernable for a long time. High taxes, education, you name it, and we’re rated around 48th or 50th from a business climate and standpoint in California,” said founder Robert Paul Preston.
The state of New California would incorporate most of the state’s rural counties, leaving the urban coastal counties to the current state of California.”
The group is organized with committees and a council of county representatives, but say it will take 10 to 18 months before they are ready to fully engage with the state legislature.
Trending on DML News
- POLL: Should U.S. taxpayers have to fund education for illegal alien children?
- BREAKING: Two injured in Indiana school shooting, shooter in custody
- Trump Tweets: Releases a Twitter Storm against Dems!
- REPORT: Trump taps vocal anti-illegal immigration advocate for State Dept’s top refugee job
- UPDATE: See how many people have signed the IMPORTANT E-Verify petition
- BREAKING: Over a dozen wounded, some critical, after bomb detonates in Ontario
- REPORT: Obama declares he signed deal with Netflix as platform to train next generation
- Trump Tweet: Responds to North Korea’s reaction to cancelled meeting
- REPORT: Stormy Daniels’ Entourage Accused of Abhorrent Behavior at Iconic Gay Nightclub
- REPORT: Estimated 7,000 bodies may be buried at former asylum