Portion of California declares it’s independence from state (video)
The U.S. might be on track to get a 51st state.
In an unprecedented move, officials from rural counties of California have announced plans to create a “New California” and secede from the Golden State. They cite their reasons for the move due to issues such as over-taxation and a poor business climate.
CBS Sacramento reports the following:
“SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — With the reading of their own version of a Declaration of Independence, founders of the state of New California took the first steps to what they hope will eventually lead to statehood.
To be clear, they don’t want to leave the United States, just California.
“Well, it’s been ungovernable for a long time. High taxes, education, you name it, and we’re rated around 48th or 50th from a business climate and standpoint in California,” said founder Robert Paul Preston.
The state of New California would incorporate most of the state’s rural counties, leaving the urban coastal counties to the current state of California.”
The group is organized with committees and a council of county representatives, but say it will take 10 to 18 months before they are ready to fully engage with the state legislature.
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: Husband confesses to killing pregnant wife, 2 daughters
- BREAKING: Trump revokes security clearance of former Obama administration CIA director (video)
- REPORT: Pregnant mom and her 2 daughters missing, may be endangered
- VIDEO: Dem Set to Become First Muslim Woman in Congress Pledges to ‘Absolutely’ Vote Against Aid to Israel
- REPORT: Jimmy Kimmel recalls stunning incident with Omarosa
- REPORT: CDC warns massive measles outbreak has hit 21 states
- REPORT: Ex-CIA Director John Brennan fires back after White House revokes his security clearance (VIDEO)
- REPORT: School cancels classes after parents threaten ‘open hunting season’ on transgender girl
- POLL: Do you agree with Trump’s crackdown on security clearances?
- REPORT: Former ‘Apprentice’ Troy McClain responds to allegations that he played ‘N-word’ tape for Omarosa