Portion of California declares it’s independence from state (video)
The U.S. might be on track to get a 51st state.
In an unprecedented move, officials from rural counties of California have announced plans to create a “New California” and secede from the Golden State. They cite their reasons for the move due to issues such as over-taxation and a poor business climate.
CBS Sacramento reports the following:
“SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — With the reading of their own version of a Declaration of Independence, founders of the state of New California took the first steps to what they hope will eventually lead to statehood.
To be clear, they don’t want to leave the United States, just California.
“Well, it’s been ungovernable for a long time. High taxes, education, you name it, and we’re rated around 48th or 50th from a business climate and standpoint in California,” said founder Robert Paul Preston.
The state of New California would incorporate most of the state’s rural counties, leaving the urban coastal counties to the current state of California.”
The group is organized with committees and a council of county representatives, but say it will take 10 to 18 months before they are ready to fully engage with the state legislature.
For more on this story, click the "read more" button below.
Trending on DML News
- Florida lawmaker’s aide fired after claiming Florida shooting survivors are actors
- Florida student speak out: I’m not a crisis actor (video)
- Pelosi proposes SHOCKING alternative to border wall (video)
- Prominent attorney charged for sexually abusing dog (video)
- UPDATE: 7th grader who shot himself at school had alarming items in backpack
- Trump accuser makes ominous threat (video)
- Reader sends screenshot of Facebook’s new censorship ploy (picture)
- Mueller files additional charges against Manafort, Gates
- REPORT: Retired sanitation worker makes $285K a year from pension
- WaPo publishes video comparing Trump and Obama reactions to school shootings (video)