Protests set for Gaza as Israel celebrates with Ivanka
Israel’s government prepared enthusiastically Sunday for the formal opening of the U.S. Embassy in Jerusalem with a gala party at its Foreign Ministry that included President Trump’s daughter Ivanka, her husband, Jared Kushner, and other American VIPs.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told revelers that Trump’s December declaration recognizing Jerusalem as Israel’s capital was “the right thing to do.” Netanyahu said, “Thank you, President Trump, for your bold decision. Thank you for making the alliance between Israel and the United States stronger than ever.”
The prime minister said Trump’s decision recognized a 3,000-year Jewish connection to Jerusalem and the “truth” that Jerusalem would be Israel’s capital under any future peace deal.
Meanwhile, Israel said it had bolster its forces on the border with the Gaza Strip ahead of mass protests expected to draw tens of thousands of people. The mobilization includes combat battalions, special units, intelligence forces and snipers. Israeli warplanes also dropped leaflets in Gaza, urging residents to stay far from the fence.
Trending on DML News
- VIDEO: New Mexico compound mysteriously destroyed by authorities
- REPORT: Backlash erupts over top exec of famous hot dog brand hosting Trump fundraiser
- REPORT: Federal judge orders Trump to reinstate Obama-era rule
- REPORT: Family of 7 dies on end-of-summer trip
- REPORT: NYT gives estimate of tapes Omarosa believed to have in stash
- UPDATE: Bodies believed to be pregnant Colorado mom, kids found on oil property (video)
- REPORT: Review of emails from DOJ’s Bruce Ohr reveals new details on dossier scandal
- BREAKING: Court deals another blow to Trump delay of an Obama regulation
- REPORT: Student stabs classmate multiple times on first day of school (VIDEO)
- REPORT: Satanic Temple brings demonic statue to state capitol to protest Ten Commandments monument