Rand Paul calls out the government’s “wasteful spending” (video)
Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) called out runaway federal spending days after he forced a short-lived government shutdown with a lengthy floor speech denouncing the budget deficit.
Speaking to radio host John Catsimatidis on New York radio station AM 970, Paul took aim at what he called “wasteful spending.”
Paul cited examples such as, “We spent $700,000 last year studying what Neil Armstrong said when he landed on the moon.”
“Remember, he said ‘one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.’ Well, some idiot in government took $700,000 of taxpayer money and wanted to know whether he said ‘one small step for man’ or ‘one small step for a man.’ So that’s the kind of stuff your government is spending money on,” Paul revealed.
The lawmaker also told Catsimatidis that he has been pushing for the Defense Department to be audited.
“Before we give them more money, make them account for the money they’re already spending,” he said.
According to The Hill:
Paul has long been considered one of the Senate’s fiercest budget hawks, and has turned his ire against his own party, at times, accusing Republicans of denouncing deficits under Democratic presidential administrations while embracing high spending under President Trump.
Paul forced a brief government shutdown early Friday morning, after he delayed a vote on a sweeping spending bill with a lengthy speech on the Senate floor. That bill, which included increases in both domestic and military spending, eventually passed hours later and was signed by Trump, ending the shutdown.
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
Trending on DML News
- EXCLUSIVE: Hondurans caravan members carry their flag, burn US flag with swastika painted on it (PHOTO)
- REPORT: Caravan migrants becoming sick due to severe conditions (Photos, Videos)
- BREAKING: Mexican newspaper provides shocking new estimate of migrant caravan numbers
- VIDEO: Univision anchor makes claim about caravan migrants
- POLL: Do you believe the migrant caravan will actually be turned away at the U.S. border?
- VIDEO: Kim Kardashian sticks up for Kanye’s support of Trump on Alec Baldwin show
- BREAKING: Retired Supreme Court Justice sends letter, has ‘beginning stages of dementia’
- EXCLUSIVE: Man claims Texans are preparing for WAR at border
- REPORT: Only one candidate shows up for debate in hot Senate race
- REPORT: Kanye West pays debt for Chicago mayor candidate