REPORT: Over 1000 affordable housing contracts expire due to shutdown
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by TheHill.com:
Hundreds of federal housing contracts have expired since the government shutdown began in December, putting some tenants at risk of eviction while their landlords are forced to use private funding for upkeep and repairs.
A spokesman for the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) told NBC News on Tuesday that 1,150 contracts with private landlords for Project-Based Rental Assistance (PBRA) subsidies have expired so far amid the ongoing shutdown. This means that some landlords are no longer receiving government assistance to subsidize rent from low-income recipients, including many elderly Americans.
The article goes on to state the following:
The National Housing Trust, an advocacy group that operates some low-income housing under PBRA, told NBC News that some landlords could be forced to raise rents and ultimately evict tenants due to budget shortfalls created by the shutdown, which stretched into its eighteenth day on Tuesday.
HUD, the group says, did not do enough to allocate funds for these contracts before the shutdown began.
“It’s confusing to me why HUD wouldn’t have prioritized that and assigned staff to make sure this wouldn’t happen,” the National Housing Trust’s federal policy director Ellen Lurie Hoffman told NBC. “It’s a huge number of contracts and properties and residents.”
To get more information about this article, please visit TheHill.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting TheHill.com
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: White House explains bandage on Trump’s hand, Twitter goes wild (PHOTOS)
- BREAKING: Pelosi sends letter to Trump on his State of the Union address
- VIDEO: Clemson Tigers get ANOTHER meal invite after Trump’s fast-food meal
- REPORT: Kremlin responds to theory of Trump being a ‘Russian agent’
- VIDEO: Border ranchers share alarm about prayer rugs found on their property
- REPORT: Clemson quarterback says White House quote is fake
- REPORT: Rashida Tlaib lambasts ‘right wing media’ over coverage of picture with pro-Hezbollah activist
- REPORT: Ocasio-Cortez, freshmen Dems attempt to hand deliver request to McConnell (pictures)
- REPORT: House passes relief bill to fund government, six Republicans vote with Dems
- REPORT: NBCUniversal Chief makes admission on Megyn Kelly