REPORT: Amazon Blasted Over China Echo Factory Conditions
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by Bloomberg:
A watchdog group is calling on Amazon.com Inc. to improve conditions for factory workers in China who make Echo speakers and Kindle e-readers, renewing criticisms that CEO Jeff Bezos became the world’s wealthiest man on the backs of low-paid laborers.
The New York-based China Labor Watch released a report at the weekend following a nine-month investigation of working conditions at a factory in the city of Hengyang owned by Hon Hai Precision Industry Co., the company known as Foxconn, which manufactures products for Amazon. It offers the first behind-the-scenes glimpse of how Amazon produces voice-activated speakers that cost as little as $40.
Bloomberg further reported:
The report, which paints a picture of low pay and intense working conditions, includes the following findings:
- Workers were required to work more than 100 hours of monthly overtime in violation of Chinese labor law that limits overtime to 36 hours a month
- The factory uses more “dispatch workers,” similar to temporary staff in the U.S., than are allowed by Chinese law
- Employees did not receive adequate safety training
- Workers are required to arrive at work stations 10 minutes before their shift begins and they are not compensated for this time
- Staff dormitories lack adequate fire-safety precautions such as fire extinguishers
To weigh in on this information provided by Bloomberg, engage in our LIVE CHAT below. Scroll down.
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting Bloomberg
Trending on DML News
- Hillary raises over $150k in just a few hours for illegals, DML responds
- POLL: Should kids be separated from illegal alien parents at border?
- BREAKING: Peter Strzok escorted out of FBI building amid investigation
- DML TV: Hillary says Trump spreading downright lies about border, DML responds
- UPDATE: Ex-CIA engineer charged in connection to huge breach known as Vault 7
- REPORT: Florida mom arrested after leaving 3-year-old in car for 12 hours
- REPORT: Trump plan to claw back billions in spending facing uncertain future
- REPORT: Kansas Judge Rules on Law Requiring Voters to Show Proof of Citizenship
- REPORT: ICE demands apology from New Yorker over tattoo claim
- BREAKING: L.A. sheriff’s detectives seize over 500 firearms from felon’s home (photos)