REPORT: Amazon Blasted Over China Echo Factory Conditions
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by Bloomberg:
A watchdog group is calling on Amazon.com Inc. to improve conditions for factory workers in China who make Echo speakers and Kindle e-readers, renewing criticisms that CEO Jeff Bezos became the world’s wealthiest man on the backs of low-paid laborers.
The New York-based China Labor Watch released a report at the weekend following a nine-month investigation of working conditions at a factory in the city of Hengyang owned by Hon Hai Precision Industry Co., the company known as Foxconn, which manufactures products for Amazon. It offers the first behind-the-scenes glimpse of how Amazon produces voice-activated speakers that cost as little as $40.
Bloomberg further reported:
The report, which paints a picture of low pay and intense working conditions, includes the following findings:
- Workers were required to work more than 100 hours of monthly overtime in violation of Chinese labor law that limits overtime to 36 hours a month
- The factory uses more “dispatch workers,” similar to temporary staff in the U.S., than are allowed by Chinese law
- Employees did not receive adequate safety training
- Workers are required to arrive at work stations 10 minutes before their shift begins and they are not compensated for this time
- Staff dormitories lack adequate fire-safety precautions such as fire extinguishers
To weigh in on this information provided by Bloomberg, engage in our LIVE CHAT below. Scroll down.
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting Bloomberg
Trending on DML News
- BREAKING: House Dems to offer additional funding for ‘border security’ to reopen government
- VIDEO: Judge Jeanine tears Nancy Pelosi to shreds in blistering monologue, concludes with shocking image
- BREAKING: Pelosi releases blistering statement on Trump’s offer to legalize Dreamers for wall money
- REPORT: Four boys ages 12 to 14 are charged with kidnapping and raping a girl
- BREAKING: Inside the Mueller team’s decision to dispute BuzzFeed’s explosive story on Trump and Cohen
- BREAKING: Details leaked on Trump’s planned announcement, expected compromise on shutdown
- EXCLUSIVE: Ann Coulter lambasts President Trump’s compromise proposal with Twitter rampage
- BREAKING: President Trump makes announcement on proposal to end shutdown (VIDEO)
- POLL: Do you approve of President Trump’s ‘immigration compromise’ proposal?
- BREAKING: Skating champion dies by suicide day after being suspended