REPORT: ANALYSIS: Comey may not be off the hook in FISA investigation
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information written by Jerry Dunleavy and published by WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM:
Justice Department Inspector General Michael Horowitz has already harshly criticized James Comey in two high-profile investigations, so the watchdog’s impending report on abuse of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act could spell trouble for the former FBI director.
Comey handled the FBI’s criminal investigation into former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s illicit private email server and her mishandling of classified information, while simultaneously leading the bureau’s counterintelligence inquiry into alleged ties between the Russian government and Trump’s campaign.
The article goes on to state the following:
Horowitz released a report on the Clinton investigation in the summer of 2018, criticizing Comey for usurping authority that wasn’t his. His August report discussed one aspect of the Trump-Russia investigation — Comey’s mishandling of his memos of conversations with Trump and leaking of information on General Mike Flynn. Both reports were unsparing in their critiques of Comey’s tendency to violate DOJ and FBI policies and to act on his feelings instead.
“We have previously faulted Comey for acting unilaterally and inconsistent with Department policy,” Horowitz wrote last month. “Comey’s unauthorized disclosure of sensitive law enforcement information about the Flynn investigation merits similar criticism.”
There’s little reason to believe Horowitz’s next report won’t be as bad or worse for Comey. Since 2018, Horowitz has been reviewing the FISA surveillance warrants targeting former Trump campaign associate Carter Page, and the watchdog is likely scrutinizing every aspect of the FISA approval process, including the FBI’s extensive use of an unverified dossier compiled by British ex-spy Christopher Steele through funding from the Clinton campaign. The head of the FBI plays an integral role in the FISA process — Comey signed and approved three of the four FISA warrant applications and renewals.
To READ MORE of this article, please visit WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- VIDEO: Former child star dies at age 25
- REPORT: House Republican rips witness over gun control law claim
- VIDEO: Joe Biden tells a WHOPPER on gun violence… and no one called him on it
- REPORT: Prison officials reveal ‘fear’ of Weinstein incarceration: ‘He may try to …”
- REPORT: Medicaid and food stamps line vanishes as new immigration rules start
- BREAKING: Trump administration declares emergency due to coronavirus, Chinese furious
- REPORT: CNN report SHOCKS with description of baby who survives an abortion
- JUST IN: Major retailer to close 125 stores, shed 2,000 corporate jobs
- VIDEO: Truck driver performs dangerous U-turn into oncoming traffic on highway, gets arrested
- BREAKING: ‘Surgery is imminent’: Fox Nation host reveals she’s getting treatment for brain tumor