REPORT: Analysis | Pelosi is forcing House Republicans to go on the record on Trump’s ‘go back’ tweets
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by WashingtonPost:
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) is preparing a vote soon in the House on a resolution condemning what she called “disgraceful” and “xenophobic language” in the tweets Trump sent Sunday.
This resolution gives Democrats an outlet to publicly reprimand the president. A resolution is a symbolic vote – it carries with it no legislative weight, and it can’t oust the president – but sometimes in Congress, symbolism matters. These Democrats will go down in the history books as leading a chamber of Congress to condemn the tweets of the president of the United States. That’s a first.
The article goes on to state the following:
But the resolution may have more politically potent ramifications for House Republicans. They will be forced to choose between what for them are a couple of politically bad options: Vote for the resolution in what will be seen as unequivocal rebuke of Trump’s words, or vote against it in what could be seen as a tacit approval of the sentiments he expressed in those tweets.
According to the report, Republicans may say the vote is unnecessary, allowing them to vote”no,” but the wording of the resolution, which condemns the president’s specific tweets and does not condemn the president himself, may put members in “the painful position” of needing to explain voting against it.
To get more information about this article, please visit WashingtonPost. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- POLL: Are you concerned about Trump’s mental stability?
- REPORT: Doctors say new rule will mean sicker immigrants, DML responds
- Growing ‘Garbage Patch’ in ocean is 3 times the size of France (videos)
- REPORT: State To Implement LGBTQ Content In Public Schools’ Curricula
- BREAKING: ICE releases over 1,000 migrants onto streets in Texas and New Mexico this week
- EXCLUSIVE: The final Instagram post by murdered pregnant mom Shanann Watts
- VIDEO: Trump tells reporters what he thinks about purchasing Greenland