REPORT: Beto O’Rourke tweets agreement with Ted Cruz on Tennessee holiday
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM:
Former Texan political rivals Ted Cruz and Beto O’Rourke found common ground on Friday when they both condemned the long-standing law in Tennessee celebrating Nathan Bedford Forrest, a dead Confederate Army general and grand wizard of the Ku Klux Klan.
Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee signed a proclamation on Friday that marks this Saturday as Nathan Bedford Forrest Day across the state. The proclamation marks out six days of special observance that the governor of Tennessee is required by law to sign each year. Other holidays protected by Tennessee state code are Confederate Decoration Day, Robert E. Lee Day, Veteran’s Day, Memorial Day, Abraham Lincoln Day, and Andrew Jackson Day.
The article goes on to state the following:
Cruz expressed his disagreement that such a holiday honoring Forrest should continue to be observed. He tweeted, “This is WRONG. Nathan Bedford Forrest was a Confederate general & a delegate to the 1868 Democratic Convention. He was also a slave trader & the 1st Grand Wizard of the KKK. Tennessee should not have an official day (tomorrow) honoring him. Change the law.”
A short time later, Democratic presidential candidate and former Senate rival to Cruz, Beto O’Rourke, agreed. Sharing Cruz’s original tweet, O’Rourke said simply, “I agree. Change the law.”
I agree. Change the law. https://t.co/qI522NWXee
— Beto O’Rourke (@BetoORourke) July 13, 2019
This is WRONG. Nathan Bedford Forrest was a Confederate general & a delegate to the 1868 Democratic Convention. He was also a slave trader & the 1st Grand Wizard of the KKK. Tennessee should not have an official day (tomorrow) honoring him. Change the law. https://t.co/XBgoRCBoI0
— Ted Cruz (@tedcruz) July 12, 2019
— Washington Examiner (@dcexaminer) July 13, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- VIDEO: Video captures horrifying moment of deadly New Zealand volcano eruption, Americans among tourists trapped on island
- REPORT: Social Security announces Cost of Living increase for 2020
- VIDEO: ‘I Shouldn’t Have Done It’: Elizabeth Warren Apologizes When Confronted About Native American Claims
- REPORT: Biden: ‘Nobody warned me’ about Hunter and Ukraine because Beau was dying
- VIDEO: Witness makes admission about Ukranian phone call, Schiff jumps in to halt Nunes’s questioning
- BREAKING: Chilling new details revealed about Saudi students’ actions before Florida naval base attack [VIDEO]
- VIDEO: Graham: We Will End Impeachment Trial ‘As Quickly As Possible’
- VIDEO: Protestor interrupts impeachment hearing, screams at Nadler, hauled out of room
- VIDEO: ‘They’re irrelevant’: Nadler defends not calling Republican witnesses for impeachment
- REPORT: New Muslim congresswoman flips after election, now supports anti-Israel boycott