REPORT: California gov-elect makes announcement about National Guard troops on the border
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by Politico:
SAN FRANCISCO — A month out from his inauguration, California Gov.-elect Gavin Newsom is staking out his own ground when it comes to immigration policy and relations with Mexico, signaling he’s not interested in keeping National Guard troops at the border and that he intends to seek more state resources to address humanitarian concerns.
The approach, which Newsom discussed Friday with POLITICO, could suggest a shift — if not a radical one — from the approach taken by current Gov. Jerry Brown, a fellow Democrat.
“What’s the point of our National Guard being there at this point? I can’t see any,’’ he told POLITICO in a phone interview from Mexico as he prepared to attend the inauguration of Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador. He said he would review current National Guard commitments — those made by Brown under pressure from President Donald Trump. Those commitments are set to extend until March 31. But Newsom said he believed those troops could be far better utilized.
The article goes on to state the following:
Newsom has suggested he would take a far more interactive approach with the Mexican government and revive commissions and trade offices. And Newsom appears to be culturally more tied to California’s neighbor to the south: His wife, Jennifer Siebel Newsom, speaks fluent Spanish and speaks the language to their four children at home, believing fluency in the language to be critical in a border state.
A month out from his inauguration, California Gov.-elect Gavin Newsom signaled he’s not interested in keeping National Guard troops at the border https://t.co/PpkTt1BzKY
— POLITICO (@politico) December 3, 2018
To get more information about this article, please visit Politico. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting Politico
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: New details emerge on judge who upheld subpoenas on Trump’s bank records
- BREAKING: Lone Republican blocks House passage of disaster relief bill
- REPORT: Calif. Senate passes humongous spending plan that would expand benefits to people in U.S. illegally
- REPORT: House Intelligence enjoys breakthrough with Justice Department
- VIDEO: Lindsey Graham predicts Dems’ reaction to declassification of documents on Trump campaign surveillance
- REPORT: Trump, Pelosi wage Twitter war over ‘stammer’ video
- REPORT: Meteorologist fact-checks Ocasio-Cortez after her bizarre claim about tornado
- REPORT: Suspected illegal immigrant accused of impregnating 11-year-old girl [VIDEO]
- REPORT: Twitter permanently bans two famous Trump antagonists
- REPORT: Harvey Weinstein reaches massive deal to settle sex assault civil suits