REPORT: California’s Governor Just Proposed The Longest Paid Parental Leave In The U.S.
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by HuffingtonPost.com:
Newly elected California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) on Thursday proposed what would be the most generous paid parental leave policy in the nation: six months of partially paid leave so parents or other family members can care for a newborn or newly adopted baby.
Right now, some California parents have access to a combined four months of leave at partial pay. Those who get less include adoptive parents, same-sex couples and single parents.
Two-thirds of countries in the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development guarantee six months of paid time off to new mothers. Newsom’s plan doesn’t go that far. Instead, the proposal, unveiled as part of his 2019 budget, would allow two caretakers to split six months off, according to a fact sheet provided by his office. One parent could take three months, and the other parent or partner or another family member could take three more months, or vice versa.
The policy would roll out slowly. At a press conference unveiling the state’s $209 billion budget on Thursday, Newsom said that leave would be paid for mainly with existing funds.
“It’s a developmental necessity,” Newsom said of paid leave. “We’re committed to this.”
CLICK THE LINK BELOW to read more of this report.
California Gov. Gavin Newsom on Thursday proposed what would be the most generous paid parental leave policy in the nation. https://t.co/bxxsTgH2Fd
— HuffPost Politics (@HuffPostPol) January 10, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit HuffingtonPost.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: Rep. Gaetz makes rare move to join Dem on amendment to block Trump on Iran
- BREAKING: Minnesota Lawmaker Calls For Ethics Investigation Into Rep. Ilhan Omar [VIDEO]
- UPDATE: David Ortiz shooting: Authorities reveal plot to kill ‘Big Papi’, 6 detained
- REPORT: DNA tests reveal shocking percentage of suspected fraudulent migrant families were unrelated
- VIDEO: Trump presents Medal of Honor to Staff Sergeant David Bellavia
- REPORT: Tear Gas And Cages: What Immigration Enforcement Looked Like Under Vice President Joe Biden (PICTURES)
- BREAKING: Podium placement for first Democratic debate revealed
- REPORT: Gillibrand announces progress toward securing 9/11 victim benefits
- Text messages discredit anti-gun march organizer’s alleged statement claiming Hunter Pollack was invited to speak at march
- REPORT: Iranian president lashes out with insult at Trump White House amid new sanctions