REPORT: City backpedals on tax to benefit the homeless
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM:
Amid backlash from companies like Amazon and Starbucks, the Seattle government officials who backed a business tax to pay for homeless services earlier this year said they would move to repeal it.
Under the law, businesses that made more than $20 million in yearly revenue would be forced to pay a $275 tax per full-time worker. Seattle intended to use the nearly $50 million in extra money to help fund affordable housing and other initiatives for a growing population living in so-called tent cities.
The article goes on to state the following:
Facing a November ballot initiative from opponents trying to revoke the law, however, Seattle Major Jenny Durkan and seven city council members, including president Bruce Harrell, changed course to avoid a prolonged and costly political battle.
“The city remains committed to building solutions that bring businesses, labor, philanthropy, neighborhoods and communities to the table,” they said in a statement. “These shared solutions must include a continued focus on moving our most vulnerable from the streets, providing needed services and on building more housing as quickly as possible.”
The law spurred major opposition from top national businesses with operations in the city.
To weigh in on this information provided by WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM, engage in our LIVE CHAT below. Scroll down.
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM
Trending on DML News
- POLL: Do you believe the migrant caravan will actually be turned away at the U.S. border?
- REPORT: AP changes headline after outraged liberals complain about description of illegal caravan
- Trump Tweets: Releases statement on unstoppable caravan
- EXCLUSIVE: Hondurans caravan members carry their flag, burn US flag with swastika painted on it (PHOTO)
- REPORT: Bernie Sanders pours cold water on blue wave
- BREAKING: Mexican newspaper provides shocking new estimate of migrant caravan numbers
- VIDEO: Bangladeshis Joined Migrant Caravan In Guatemala, Univision Correspondent Reports
- VIDEO: Univision anchor makes claim about caravan migrants
- REPORT: Grassley demands, and receives, explanation for Air Force’s $326G coffee cup spending
- VIDEO: Kim Kardashian sticks up for Kanye’s support of Trump on Alec Baldwin show