REPORT: City backpedals on tax to benefit the homeless
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM:
Amid backlash from companies like Amazon and Starbucks, the Seattle government officials who backed a business tax to pay for homeless services earlier this year said they would move to repeal it.
Under the law, businesses that made more than $20 million in yearly revenue would be forced to pay a $275 tax per full-time worker. Seattle intended to use the nearly $50 million in extra money to help fund affordable housing and other initiatives for a growing population living in so-called tent cities.
The article goes on to state the following:
Facing a November ballot initiative from opponents trying to revoke the law, however, Seattle Major Jenny Durkan and seven city council members, including president Bruce Harrell, changed course to avoid a prolonged and costly political battle.
“The city remains committed to building solutions that bring businesses, labor, philanthropy, neighborhoods and communities to the table,” they said in a statement. “These shared solutions must include a continued focus on moving our most vulnerable from the streets, providing needed services and on building more housing as quickly as possible.”
The law spurred major opposition from top national businesses with operations in the city.
To weigh in on this information provided by WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM, engage in our LIVE CHAT below. Scroll down.
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM
Trending on DML News
- EXCLUSIVE: Letter from paramedic at Texas border reveals another side to immigration issue
- EXCLUSIVE: Border Patrol agent contacts DML, shares unreported FACTS on issues at border
- BREAKING: Vinnie Paul, legendary Pantera drummer, dies at 54
- POLL: Should actor Peter Fonda be arrested for threatening Barron Trump?
- REPORT: Donald Trump Jr. and Kimberly Guilfoyle take their relationship public (photo)
- Trump Tweet: Will speak to Mexico!
- BREAKING: Supreme Court issues ruling on law enforcement searches of cellphone data
- REPORT: Millennials have found a reason to be optimistic about Trump
- REPORT: Five Charity Workers Kidnapped and Gang-Raped
- BREAKING: Father shares shocking truth about iconic crying migrant girl used in family separation propaganda