REPORT: As Congress considers regulations for social media, top Dem comments on its potential to pass
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by Bloomberg:
Mark Warner, the Senate Intelligence Committee’s top Democrat, said Thursday a broad bipartisan majority in Congress likely will back new regulation of social media, though such legislation might take time to come together.
“Depending on how we framed it, I think we’d have an overwhelming majority,” Warner of Virginia said at a conference on digital privacy in Washington sponsored by the Atlantic magazine. “I think there is a high chance that people realize that the days of the wild, wild west are over, that there needs to be some guardrails.”
The article goes on to say:
Lawmakers of both parties have been highly critical of social media companies’ voluntary efforts to rein in fake information and other problems. Democrats want to avoid a repeat of Russian use of social media accounts to meddle in the 2016 election, while Republicans accuse the platforms of discriminating against conservative points of view.
Warner said his message to the tech companies is to stay engaged with Congress to avoid the risk of heavier-handed regulation later.
“Twitter and Facebook at this point are fully engaged,” he said. “We’ve already had serious followup meetings since our hearing on what substantive policy might look like.”
To weigh in on this information provided by Bloomberg, engage in our LIVE CHAT below. Scroll down.
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting Bloomberg
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: New Muslim congresswoman flips after election, now supports anti-Israel boycott
- BREAKING: Broward officials uploaded results two minutes late, after Scott gained votes, upending entire recount
- VIDEO: Media quiet about violent clash in Tijuana as Mexicans protest migrant caravan
- VIDEO: Border Patrol catches smuggler cutting barbed wire hours after it was placed at border
- REPORT: Michelle Obama wears hair natural on new magazine cover (PHOTOS)
- REPORT: Ocasio-Cortez slams reporter who commented on her outfit (PHOTO)
- Bette Midler posts semi-nude picture of Melania, calls her FloTITS (see photo)
- BREAKING: Florida prepares to count again by HAND after one candidate gained 865 votes in machine recount
- REPORT: Ocasio-Cortez complains people keep mistaking her for intern, Twitter users pounce
- REPORT: Researchers Admit MATH ERROR on ‘Alarming’ Study Claiming Global Warming Heating Up Oceans