REPORT: Conservative group ordered to reveal donor list to law enforcement
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM:
A federal appeals court ruled Tuesday that the conservative nonprofit group Americans for Prosperity Foundation, founded by billionaires Charles and David Koch, must disclose its donor list to California law enforcement.
In 2016, U.S. District Court Judge Manuel Real issued a permanent injunction against the state’s rule requiring that the nonprofit file its list of donors. Americans for Prosperity argued that it was a violation of the First Amendment. Disclosing the list, they contended, would dissuade potential and current donors from giving, and it would expose donors to threats and harassment.
The article goes on to state the following:
The three-person panel of the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco unanimously reversed the injunction. In a 41-page opinion written by Judge Raymond Fisher and joined by Judges Richard Paez and Jacqueline Nguyen, Fisher argues that, “The mere possibility that some contributors may choose to withhold their support does not establish a substantial burden on First Amendment rights.” The group failed to show that there would be a significant burden on donors if the state had access to the list.
Koch-backed charity must reveal donor list to California state officials, appeals court rules
— Matea Gold (@mateagold) September 11, 2018
New: Koch-backed charity must reveal donor list to California state officials, appeals court rules https://t.co/HjB0Yz7NLC
— Michelle Ye Hee Lee (@myhlee) September 11, 2018
To weigh in on this information provided by WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM, engage in our LIVE CHAT below. Scroll down.
Trending on DML News
- VIDEO: Crowd Boos Julian Castro For Refusing To Hold Baby
- DML LIVE: Shocking report from ICE (Mon – July 15)
- REVEALED: Rashida Tlaib wrote column for Anti-Semitic publication in 2006
- REPORT: Ocasio-Cortez Responds To Washington ICE Attack
- VIDEO: Mom Catches Kid Falling Off Balcony In Heart-Stopping Surveillance Video
- VIDEO: Tucker Carlson highlights CNN ‘promoting’ Antifa
- BREAKING: Police give update on missing Utah student, announce they have a ‘person of interest’
- REPORT: CBP denies Marine Corps veteran entry for citizenship interview
- NEW: TeamDML launches, feedback we’ve received