REPORT: Cory Booker introduces bill to create ‘DemocracyCorps’ for elections
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by TheHill.com:
Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.) will introduce a bill on Thursday to create a new federal organization to help with elections.
The legislation would establish a “DemocracyCorps” of individuals who would help register voters, carry out voter education campaigns and serve as poll workers, according to details of the bill shared exclusively with The Hill ahead of its release.
The article goes on to state the following:
“The right to vote is sacred and we should make exercising that fundamental right as easy as possible. Unfortunately, the global pandemic has placed that right in peril, and unless decisive measures are taken to provide safe voting options, many Americans may face a terrible choice this fall between protecting their health and participating in our democracy,” Booker said in a statement.
The report states that the program calls for 35,000 people spread out across the nation, assigned to states based on population, including population on Native American lands, and number of elected officials. The individuals would serve a two-year term.
“DemocracyCorps aims to cultivate and inspire a new generation of young people to strengthen our democracy by helping Americans safely exercise the franchise, just as the Freedom Summer volunteers before them,” Booker said.
The bill reportedly includes ideas from other legislation by Sens. Kamala Harris, Ron Wyden and Amy Klobuchar.
To get more information about this article, please visit TheHill.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- VIDEO: ‘Guardian Angel’ describes violent battle with mob of hundreds of NY looters: ‘We don’t surrender or retreat’
- VIDEO: Footage of 7-year-old girl in Black Lives Matter march goes viral
- REPORT: Florida city becomes first to ban gun sales and carry during ’emergency declaration’
- REPORT: Graham makes announcement on Russia probe subpoena vote
- WATCH: Woman blasts ladies as RACIST for cleaning graffiti off building in shocking viral video
- REPORT: Fake News? Police Issue Statement At Odds With Reports About Actions Against Protesters in D.C.
- VIDEOS: De Blasio drowned out by boos, calls to resign at George Floyd memorial
- REPORT: Charlotte newspaper posts scathing op-ed on Trump seeking another city for GOP convention