REPORT: Cummings offers to delay contempt vote
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by TheHill.com:
House Oversight and Reform Committee Chairman Elijah Cummings (D-Md.) said Tuesday that he would hold off on his committee’s contempt votes for Attorney General William Barr and Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross if officials provided certain documents to Congress by Wednesday.
In a letter sent to Barr on Tuesday evening, Cummings was critical of a Department of Justice (DOJ) letter sent earlier in the day that warned that the department would ask President Trump to assert executive privilege over the documents on the census citizenship question subpoenaed by the committee over the contempt vote, scheduled for Wednesday morning.
The article goes on to state the following:
“In other words, without making any recognizable counter-offer with respect to the documents under subpoena, the Department appears to be indicating that it may stop producing responsive documents over which even the Department concedes no privilege exists—and that the Department may also withhold documents in other investigations,” Cummings wrote.
Updates >> DOJ and Cummings traded last-minute offers late tonight but DOJ doesn’t plan on responding again tonight.
As of now, contempt proceedings against Barr and Ross will go forward as planned — but Cummings’ offer (see above) is still on the table.https://t.co/3IpjzSohwW
— Andrew Desiderio (@desiderioDC) June 12, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit TheHill.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: GOP signals unease with Barr’s gun plan
- REPORT: NYT reporters make new claim against Kavanaugh
- TRUMP TWEETS: Responds to news report about ‘whistleblower complaint’
- REPORT: Student’s questionable school lunch post goes viral: ‘Sad excuse for a meal’
- BREAKING: Patriots star dumped by Nike after being accused of rape
- Florida sheriff reports about armed officer on school campus
- REPORT: Two former Congressional Black Caucus chairmen back 2020 candidate
- REPORT: ‘Kangaroo justice’: William Barr slams Obama Education Department
- VIDEO: “I hung up the phone and cried”: Dana Perino on the setback that led her to the White House
- BREAKING: ICE releases over 1,000 migrants onto streets in Texas and New Mexico this week