REPORT: Dam at power plant breached by Florence floodwaters
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by CBSN.WS:
Duke Energy said Friday that a dam containing a large lake at a Wilmington, North Carolina, power plant has been breached by floodwaters from Hurricane Florence. They said it’s possible coal ash from an adjacent dump is flowing into the Cape Fear River.
Duke spokeswoman Paige Sheehan said Friday that floodwaters continue to overtop an earthen dike at the north side of Sutton Lake, a 1,100-acre reservoir at the L.V. Sutton Power Station. That water has caused several breaches in the dam on the south end of the lake, which is flowing back into the river.
The article goes on to state the following:
Company officials said that because the river is already running high after the hurricane, they do not expect the breaches in the dam to affect the water level.
BREAKING: Floodwaters continue to overtop an earthen dam at the north side of Sutton Lake, a 1,100-acre reservoir at the L.V. Sutton Power Station. https://t.co/Kj3CqBiBl3
— WSOCTV (@wsoctv) September 21, 2018
.@DukeEnergy also reporting that in addition to today’s breach that resulting in #coalash releases at Sutton, it has shut down its nat gas plant there b/c lake water intruding @NCPolicyWatch https://t.co/eBrt2K1nSf pic.twitter.com/RpiEgDsBy7
— lisasorg (@lisasorg) September 21, 2018
This is Cape Fear River in dryer times snaking past Sutton Lake, used by Duke for power plant cooling. Toxic coal ash in storage ponds is gray. (via Google Earth.)
— John Upton (@johnupton) September 21, 2018
HuffPost wasn’t allowed into Duke Energy’s Lake Sutton in Cape Fear but we got these shots in the surrounding flooded area about 1/4 mile away… pic.twitter.com/wot04IcuNw
— Hayley Miller (@hayleymiller01) September 20, 2018
To weigh in on this information provided by CBSN.WS, engage in our LIVE CHAT below. Scroll down.
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting CBSN.WS
Trending on DML News
- OpEd: Venezuelan who fled socialism publishes alarming warning on Ocasio-Cortez’s ‘Green New Deal’
- BREAKING: ‘Empire’ producers announce decision on Jussie Smollett following charges
- REPORT: Democrat congress members took $60,000 trip to attend Beyonce concert in South Africa
- VIDEO: Trump has a plan to deal with attempt to block emergency order
- REPORT: Ocasio-Cortez rips media for reporting on her new luxury high-rise
- VIDEO: Roseanne Barr releases video blasting Ocasio-Cortez and socialism
- VIDEO: State senator calls U.S. flag a ‘rag,’ compares it to Nazi symbol, GOP senator gives emotional response
- VIDEO: Boy, 4, dies after being impaled in freak household accident
- REPORT: Covington Catholic lawyer ‘looking very carefully’ at Bill Maher over ‘defamatory’ statements (VIDEO)
- BREAKING: Singer R. Kelly Charged With Aggravated Criminal Sexual Abuse