REPORT: Democrats push to revive Obama-era aid to illegal immigrants in border talks
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM:
House Democrats are pushing hard to revive an Obama-era program that would keep illegal immigrant families out of detention and instead given them housing, transportation, healthcare, and legal aid to help them claim asylum in the U.S.
President Trump ended the Family Case Management Program in June 2017, citing excessive costs and the low rate of enrolled families returning to their home countries.
The article goes on to state the following:
House Democrats want to bring it back to life in some form as part of an effort to reduce the detention of illegal immigrants and instead release them in the United States with some supervision. And they are hoping to negotiate that change in the ongoing border security talks between the two parties.
Specifically, Democrats want $30.5 million added to the family case management budget within the Department of Homeland Security. They also hope family detentions can be phased out this year.
According to the report by Washington Examiner, Rep. Lucille Roybal-Allard, D-Calif., a member of the negotiating team, said, “The only crisis at the border has been a humanitarian one due to DHS’ inability to care for the migrants, families, and unaccompanied children properly. My proposal provides a larger investment in alternatives to detention and family case management.”
In addition to the $30 million for family case management, the House Democratic proposal seeks an additional $40 million for ATD program case managers, which would add to President Trump’s $184 million overall request to fund the ATD program in fiscal 2019.
House Democrats push hard to revive Obama-era program to keep illegal immigrant families out of detention & give them housing, transportation, healthcare & legal aid to help them claim asylum.
-Dems are very generous with your money, but not to Americans https://t.co/sTy131HWnj
— Eric Spalding 🇺🇸 (@TheFarSideRight) February 4, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- Ivanka ripped by liberal TV host for protecting her father (video)
- REPORT: Doctor accused of being drunk at work indicted in deaths of three patients
- REPORT: Judge allows Trump to appeal Democrats’ emoluments lawsuit
- VIDEO: Surveillance video shows what happens when illegal aliens try to climb new border wall
- REPORT: Alyssa Milano Makes Shocking Statements While Confessing Back-to-Back Abortions
- TRILOGY DVD (They Come to America I, II, and III)
- BREAKING: Former WH spokesman Sean Spicer makes HUGE announcement on Good Morning America [VIDEO]
- How You Can Help Stop Amnesty
- VIDEO: Watchdog alerts Trump that border agency violated DNA collection law for years, letting violent criminals walk free [READ LETTER]
- REPORT: Ocasio-Cortez hits back at Jamie Dimon after Green New Deal criticism