REPORT: Denver mayor announces plan to wipe out marijuana convictions for thousands
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by DENVERPOST.COM:
Colorado may be the mecca of legal marijuana, but the state’s old drug laws still loom large. More than 10,000 people in Denver alone were convicted of low-level cannabis crimes just between 2001 and 2013.
Those offenses — such as possessing the drug or paraphernalia — would not be illegal today, but they still haunt many people’s criminal records.
The article goes on to state the following:
Now, the city of Denver will help anyone convicted in municipal court in the past to clear those records. Mayor Michael Hancock has ordered a “citywide effort” to vacate and expunge low-level marijuana convictions for residents.
“For too long, the lives of low-income residents and those living in our communities of color have been negatively affected by low-level marijuana convictions,” he said in a news release Tuesday morning. “This is an injustice that needs to be corrected, and we are going to provide a pathway to move on from an era of marijuana prohibition that has impacted the lives of thousands of people.”
We’re moving to vacate low-level marijuana convictions for #Denver residents. This is an injustice that needs to be corrected. We’re going to provide a pathway to move on from an era of prohibition that has negatively impacted the lives of thousands. https://t.co/qc6HfpfjcS
— Michael B. Hancock (@MayorHancock) December 4, 2018
— Lee Ann Colacioppo (@LAColacioppo) December 4, 2018
To get more information about this article, please visit DENVERPOST.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting DENVERPOST.COM
Trending on DML News
- OpEd: Venezuelan who fled socialism publishes alarming warning on Ocasio-Cortez’s ‘Green New Deal’
- UPDATE: Ocasio-Cortez responds to ‘wack’ Times Square billboard
- SURPRISE? Dem. 2020 candidate breaks from the pack: ‘We can’t have open borders, we need to have border security’
- REPORT: Kamala Harris releases statement on Jussie Smollett scandal
- VIDEO: Hundreds of caravan migrants headed to US violently attack police in southern Mexico
- VIDEO: Roseanne Barr releases video blasting Ocasio-Cortez and socialism
- REPORT: State senate passes bill to keep Trump off 2020 ballot unless he releases tax returns
- VIDEO: CNN’s Don Lemon on Smollett: ‘Not His Fault’
- REPORT: Michigan mother fatally shot 3 young daughters in woods before killing self
- BREAKING: MUST SEE – BOMBSHELL details revealed in press conference on Jussie Smollett’s hoax attack, plus revelations on homophobic letter