REPORT: Diplomat explains why Tehran came clean about downed plane: ‘They can’t cover up anymore’
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM:
Iran confessed to shooting down a Ukrainian passenger jet because it couldn’t keep lying about it, a foreign diplomat said. In an abrupt reversal for a regime at first intent on evading responsibility for the tragedy, Tehran admitted early Saturday that its Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps accidentally shot down the jet.
“They understood that they can’t cover up anymore,” a Central European diplomat told the Washington Examiner.
The article goes on to state the following:
“They are not as good at disinformation as Russians are,” the Central European diplomat said.
After the crash, Iranian officials blamed mechanical error. Soon after the US and other nations revealed that intelligence officials believed a surface-to-air missile shot the plane down.
“Iran abandoned the subterfuge…as videos of the incident circulated online,” the Examiner reported.
“The evidence was mounting up, and Iranians understood that they either admit or start blunt lies and denial,” the diplomat told the Examiner.
Iran has admitted that IRGC anti-aircraft unit shot the airplane hours after they launched ballistic missiles at U.S. forces in Iraq, putting the Iranian military on high alert. An Iranian officer operating the anti-aircraft missiles fired due to a glitch in communications that meant he couldn’t consult with commanders, the IRGC said.
“Either the jamming system was busy or the network was busy, it couldn’t communicate in any way,” Amir Ali Hajizadeh, IRGC commander of the aerospace division said on state-run media. “In this situation, he had five seconds to make a decision. Unfortunately, he made the bad decision and shot the missile and hit the plane.”
176 civilians died.
63 Canadians, 82 Iranians, 11 Ukrainians, 10 Swedes, four Afghans, three Germans, and three British nationals were killed in the tragic downing of the passenger plane.
To get more information about this article, please visit WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- VIDEO: ‘Blood Drained From Adam Schiff’s Face’: John Barrasso Says Schiff’s ‘Parody’ Backfired
- REPORT: News outlet blasted by police for breaking news of Kobe Bryant’s death before family could be notified
- REPORT: Another country offers to pick up Harry and Meghan’s massive security bill
- VIDEO: Lindsey Graham makes pledge about Bidens: ‘And that does not make me a Russian agent’
- VIDEO: Chris Wallace confronts Dershowitz over impeachment
- VIDEO: Tucker Carlson: Adam Schiff is turning into a Tom Clancy character
- VIDEO: “God help me, I did it.” Megyn Kelly reveals she complied with demeaning request by Roger Ailes
- VIDEO: Schiff not trusted: Democrats aren’t getting intelligence because of ‘crooked, corrupt’ lawmakers: Trump
- REPORT: Collins releases statement about calling witnesses for impeachment trial
- REPORT: ‘Stunned’ Sen. Collins objected to Nadler’s impeachment accusation in note to Roberts