REPORT: DOJ lawyer: President not responsible for who stays at Trump hotels
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by TheHill.com:
A Trump administration attorney argued Monday that President Trump is not violating conflict of interest laws when foreign officials stay at his hotels.
Brett Shumate, a deputy assistant attorney general, maintained in federal court that the president should not be held responsible for foreign officials who attempt to “sow favor” with the Trump administration, CNN reported.
The article goes on to state the following:
The argument came as part of a Department of Justice (DOJ) effort to dismiss a case claiming Trump is violating the Emoluments Clause of the Constitution.
When the federal judge in the case asked the difference between sowing favor and bribery, Shumate argued that bribery requires “some corrupt intent,” according to CNN.
U.S. District Court Judge Peter Messitte, who was appointed by former President Clinton, will reportedly decide by the end of July whether the case will proceed.
To weigh in on this information provided by TheHill.com, engage in our LIVE CHAT below. Scroll down.
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting TheHill.com
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: Rush to judgment? New details emerge on Native American elder’s standoff with MAGA-hat-wearing teens
- VIDEO: Judge Jeanine tears Nancy Pelosi to shreds in blistering monologue, concludes with shocking image
- REPORT: Plane makes emergency landing over poison concerns after passengers start ‘turning green,’ ‘suffocating’
- VIDEO: Liz Cheney: Pelosi ‘Commandeered’ The House On DACA Issue She’s Now Voting Against
- REPORT: Boy’s mother defends son after video of encounter with Native American man
- UPDATE: Thousands sign Catholic high school petition after students harass Native American man
- TRUMP TWEETS Pelosi and economy, DML responds
- REPORT: Jimmy Carter tells Dem Senator: ‘I hope you run for president’
- REPORT: Cardi B and Tomi Lahren get into Twitter fight over government shutdown, Ocasio-Cortez wades in
- REPORT: Longtime Dem to young congress members: ‘stop acting like young people’, Ocasio-Cortez responds