REPORT: DOJ lawyer: President not responsible for who stays at Trump hotels
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by TheHill.com:
A Trump administration attorney argued Monday that President Trump is not violating conflict of interest laws when foreign officials stay at his hotels.
Brett Shumate, a deputy assistant attorney general, maintained in federal court that the president should not be held responsible for foreign officials who attempt to “sow favor” with the Trump administration, CNN reported.
The article goes on to state the following:
The argument came as part of a Department of Justice (DOJ) effort to dismiss a case claiming Trump is violating the Emoluments Clause of the Constitution.
When the federal judge in the case asked the difference between sowing favor and bribery, Shumate argued that bribery requires “some corrupt intent,” according to CNN.
U.S. District Court Judge Peter Messitte, who was appointed by former President Clinton, will reportedly decide by the end of July whether the case will proceed.
To weigh in on this information provided by TheHill.com, engage in our LIVE CHAT below. Scroll down.
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting TheHill.com
Trending on DML News
- EXCLUSIVE: Letter from paramedic at Texas border reveals another side to immigration issue
- EXCLUSIVE: Border Patrol agent contacts DML, shares unreported FACTS on issues at border
- BREAKING: Vinnie Paul, legendary Pantera drummer, dies at 54
- POLL: Should actor Peter Fonda be arrested for threatening Barron Trump?
- REPORT: Donald Trump Jr. and Kimberly Guilfoyle take their relationship public (photo)
- Trump Tweet: Will speak to Mexico!
- BREAKING: Supreme Court issues ruling on law enforcement searches of cellphone data
- REPORT: Millennials have found a reason to be optimistic about Trump
- REPORT: Five Charity Workers Kidnapped and Gang-Raped
- BREAKING: Father shares shocking truth about iconic crying migrant girl used in family separation propaganda