REPORT: DOJ lawyer: President not responsible for who stays at Trump hotels
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by TheHill.com:
A Trump administration attorney argued Monday that President Trump is not violating conflict of interest laws when foreign officials stay at his hotels.
Brett Shumate, a deputy assistant attorney general, maintained in federal court that the president should not be held responsible for foreign officials who attempt to “sow favor” with the Trump administration, CNN reported.
The article goes on to state the following:
The argument came as part of a Department of Justice (DOJ) effort to dismiss a case claiming Trump is violating the Emoluments Clause of the Constitution.
When the federal judge in the case asked the difference between sowing favor and bribery, Shumate argued that bribery requires “some corrupt intent,” according to CNN.
U.S. District Court Judge Peter Messitte, who was appointed by former President Clinton, will reportedly decide by the end of July whether the case will proceed.
To weigh in on this information provided by TheHill.com, engage in our LIVE CHAT below. Scroll down.
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting TheHill.com
Trending on DML News
- VIDEO: New Mexico compound mysteriously destroyed by authorities
- UPDATE: Colorado girls’ bodies were submerged in crude oil for 4 days
- REPORT: ESPN makes announcement about national anthem for NFL games
- VIDEO: Chilling family videos emerge of murdered woman killed by husband
- VIDEO: Toddler recorded in family video praising the father accused of killing her
- REPORT: NYT gives estimate of tapes Omarosa believed to have in stash
- REPORT: Review of emails from DOJ’s Bruce Ohr reveals new details on dossier scandal
- BREAKING: Court deals another blow to Trump delay of an Obama regulation
- REPORT: Parkland shooter: Seven key facts hidden in the school district’s report
- REPORT: Satanic Temple brings demonic statue to state capitol to protest Ten Commandments monument