REPORT: Estimated 7,000 bodies may be buried at former asylum
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by APNEWS.COM:
STARKVILLE, Miss. (AP) — Some of the boxes stacked inside anthropologist Molly Zuckerman’s laboratory contain full bones — a skull, a jaw, or a leg. Others contain only plastic bags of bone fragments that Zuckerman describes as “grit.”
These humble remains are among as many as 7,000 bodies that were buried at Mississippi’s former insane asylum, a site that’s now on the grounds of the University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson. Researchers are planning to exhume the bodies, create a memorial and study them for insight on how mentally ill people and other marginalized populations should be treated today.
The article goes on to state the following:
“The individuals present this amazing snapshot of life and health and human biology in Mississippi during a really tumultuous time spanning from before the Civil War into Reconstruction and into Jim Crow,” said Zuckerman, who operates her lab at Mississippi State University in Starkville. “This can provide a very rich, contextualized, detailed and personal understanding of how health changed throughout time and how people’s health was influenced by structural factors such as poverty and racism and marginalization.”
The Mississippi State Lunatic Asylum — later renamed the Mississippi State Insane Hospital — operated from 1855 to 1935 and housed up to 35,000 patients from across the state. Patients who died while institutionalized were buried there if relatives didn’t claim their bodies.
Up to 7000 bodies buried at Mississippi insane asylumhttps://t.co/P1XCKcnwug
Shared from my Google feed
— Justice (@Powerful66) May 23, 2018
To weigh in on this information provided by APNEWS.COM, engage in our LIVE CHAT below. Scroll down.
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting APNEWS.COM
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: Omarosa’s neighbors file suit against her husband over unkempt home
- POLL: Should Christopher Watts receive the death penalty?
- UPDATE: Stunning details emerge on man detained by ICE while driving his pregnant wife to hospital
- VIDEO: How a patient paid a $285 copay for a $40 drug
- OpEd: Newt Gingrich: Mueller’s fatal mistake
- REPORT: U.S. company reports one year later after implanting microchips in employees’ hands
- VIDEO: Neighbor shoots TX man stabbing his toddler to death while yelling religious rants
- REPORT: WH aide departs after questions arise about speech at controversial venue
- REPORT: Murdered Colorado mom ‘beat all odds’ to get pregnant, brother says in emotional post
- VIDEO: Democrat Cracks Joke About President Trump Drowning