REPORT: Footnote in Trump’s new trade deal causes confusion over LGBTQ protections
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by NBCNews.com:
The final version of a new trade deal signed by the U.S., Canada and Mexico on Nov. 30 includes language that says the three countries “shall implement policies that protect workers against discrimination” including on the basis of “sexual orientation” and “gender identity.” The language is the first time a major international trade deal has included workplace protections for LGBTQ people.
However, following a letter by 46 “deeply concerned” Republican lawmakers who took issue with the “unprecedented inclusion” of such language, a footnote was added to the document that has sowed broad confusion about the current status of LGBTQ protections in the now-signed deal.
The article goes on to state the following:
“The United States’ existing federal agency policies regarding the hiring of federal workers are sufficient to fulfill the obligations set forth in this Article,” footnote 13, at the bottom of page 23-6, states. “The Article thus requires no additional action on the part of the United States, including any amendments to Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, in order for the United States to be in compliance with the obligations set forth in this Article.”
There are differing opinions amongst experts on whether the original LGBTQ protections, inserted by Canada, will be enforceable in the U.S.
To get more information about this article, please visit NBCNews.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting NBCNews.com
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: Lion kills worker after escaping enclosure at North Carolina animal center
- REPORT: Dershowitz suggests FBI ‘thoroughly’ investigate Swetnick affidavit, Avenatti responds
- REPORT: High school student killed, 3 teens injured in crash one day after prom
- VIDEO: The twisted motive behind the alleged murder-for-hire plot that’s rocked the NYPD
- REPORT: Former DOJ official “surprised” by one section of Mueller report
- VIDEO: Tucker Carlson: Our leaders will never defend our borders – and world knows it and is coming for our wealth
- REPORT: Ben Carson sends Oreos to Democrat who quizzed him
- BREAKING: Pelosi speaks after closed-door Dem meeting, makes allegation against Trump [VIDEO]
- EXCLUSIVE: Pelosi gives her version of explosive meeting with Trump [VIDEO]
- REPORT: McConnell campaign raises stunning haul from ‘Cocaine Mitch’ T-shirt sales