REPORT: Former baseball star expected to plead guilty as drug kingpin
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by NYPost.com:
Former Yankees pitcher Esteban Loaiza is expected to change his plea later this week in a felony cocaine distribution case, according to a report.
Loaiza — who was arrested in February in San Diego after authorities said they found 44 pounds of cocaine in a van parked in the garage of a rented townhouse — has a “change of plea” hearing listed in Southern California US District Court on Friday, WLS-TV reports.
The Tijuana-born Loaiza, 46, initially pleaded not guilty in February. A change of plea hearing results in a defendant submitting a guilty plea in “99 percent” of all criminal cases, according to the station’s legal analyst Gil Soffer, a former federal prosecutor.
The article goes on to state the following:
Federal investigators have said they believe Loaiza used the rented townhome as an intermediate destination for cocaine. Prior to his arrest, during which Loaiza was pulled over for a traffic violation and cops found a sophisticated compartment to hide contraband in his Mercedes-Benz, the former MLB star had crossed the Mexican border earlier that day, prosecutors said.
Authorities later obtained a search warrant for Loaiza’s rented home in Imperial Beach, where investigators said they found 44 pounds of cocaine stored less than 1,000 feet from an elementary school.
Loaiza, who posted bail in May, faces a mandatory 10-year minimum sentence and up to life in prison if convicted, according to the station.
From two-time All-Star pitcher to drug felon. Ex-@whitesox star Esteban Loaiza expected to plead guilty Friday to federal cocaine distribution charge. Exclusive from @ABC7Chicago #ITeam https://t.co/njRe7oBYwe pic.twitter.com/rPx5wjP9fk
— ChuckGoudie (@ChuckGoudieABC7) August 6, 2018
Esteban Loaiza was charged with possession and transportation for sale of more than 10 kilograms (22 pounds) of cocaine https://t.co/UTU6K2aVzM
— Sports Illustrated (@SInow) August 7, 2018
To weigh in on this information provided by NYPost.com, engage in our LIVE CHAT below. Scroll down.
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting NYPost.com
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: How Minneapolis’ Somali community became the terrorist recruitment capital of the US
- REPORT: Republicans respond to Trump’s national emergency declaration
- REPORT: ICE arrests millionaire fugitives from Ecuador who donated to tens of thousands to Obama
- VIDEO: Acosta Refers to Children of Angel Moms as ‘Allegedly Killed by Undocumented Immigrants’
- POLL: Are you losing confidence in President Trump
- REPORT: Pelosi fundraising off Trump emergency declaration
- BREAKING: Mueller calls for long prison sentence for Manafort
- REPORT: In hypothetical 2020 matchup, Trump in dead heat with….
- REPORT: Ocasio-Cortez questioned about boyfriend’s congressional email account, Chaffetz weighs in
- VIDEO: Mormon son ‘murdered his parents and their cleaner at their home’