REPORT: GAO identifies ‘tens of billions’ in potential government savings
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by TheHill.com:
The government could save tens of billions of dollars by addressing 467 issues, the Government Accountability Office (GAO) said in its annual report released Tuesday.
The report found, for example, that the Navy could save billions by improving its acquisition practices.
The article goes on to state the following:
“GAO found 150 examples of systemic maintenance problems, such as failed engines and non-functional plumbing,” GAO said.
Other recommendations included:
- White House Office of Management and Budget (OMB) could improve oversight for disaster relief funding for “significant cost savings.”
- Defense Department could save hundreds of millions that go toward unfinished work at military depots
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services could save tens of millions by pushing states to implement screening and enrollment requirements for providers
- Government National Mortgage Association could save tens of millions of dollars through making its operations more efficient
- Department of Energy could save tens of billions of dollars over unfulfilled recommendations on low-activity waste
- IRS efforts to combat identity theft refund fraud could save billions.
Our latest report on improving #government efficiency has 168 new ways Congress or federal agencies—such as @DeptofDefense—could improve federal programs and save #taxpayer $$. Check out today’s WatchBlog for highlights: https://t.co/bDIVrOr3zl pic.twitter.com/hE9n2OiyPQ
— U.S. GAO (@USGAO) May 19, 2020
To get more information about this article, please visit TheHill.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- VIDEO: ‘Guardian Angel’ describes violent battle with mob of hundreds of NY looters: ‘We don’t surrender or retreat’
- VIDEO: Footage of 7-year-old girl in Black Lives Matter march goes viral
- REPORT: Graham makes announcement on Russia probe subpoena vote
- WATCH: Woman blasts ladies as RACIST for cleaning graffiti off building in shocking viral video
- VIDEOS: De Blasio drowned out by boos, calls to resign at George Floyd memorial
- REPORT: Charlotte newspaper posts scathing op-ed on Trump seeking another city for GOP convention