REPORT: Gillibrand announces progress toward securing 9/11 victim benefits
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by NYDailyNews:
A bipartisan, filibuster-proof majority of U.S. senators have banded together in support of permanently bankrolling federal benefits for 9/11 survivors and first responders, New York Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand announced Tuesday.
Gillibrand said in a statement that 60 senators — 41 Democrats and 19 Republicans — are now co-sponsoring a bill to make the 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund permanently financed, meaning the ball will be entirely in Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s court once the measure passes the House, as it is expected to do in the coming weeks.
The article goes on to state the following:
“I urge Senator McConnell to not stand in the way and commit to a standalone, up-or-down vote on this legislation as soon as it passes the House,” said Gillibrand, who’s getting ready for her appearance at the first Democratic 2020 debate Thursday night.
“Our 9/11 first responders are sick, they are dying, and they have already had to spend too much of their precious time traveling to Washington and fighting to convince members of Congress that making the 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund permanent is the right thing to do.”
Gillibrand says 9/11 victim benefits bill reaches filibuster-proof Senate majority.
Now pressure is on McConnell.
A bipartisan, filibuster-proof majority of senators together support permanently bankrolling federal benefits for 9/11 survivors.https://t.co/crw7Mo9OQD
— New York Daily News (@NYDailyNews) June 25, 2019
— Carolyn B. Maloney (@CarolynBMaloney) June 25, 2019
Great news –> Permanent authorization of the 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund has passed a key threshold of support. I’m proud to lead this fight with @SenGillibrand to ensure first responders receive the care they deserve & I urge swift passage of our bill. https://t.co/FUkCBygMzJ
— Cory Gardner (@SenCoryGardner) June 25, 2019
NEW: “We have the votes for this bill to pass as soon as it comes to the floor. I urge Senator McConnell to not stand in the way,” Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand says https://t.co/yR5GEEAsYJ
— Roll Call (@rollcall) June 25, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit NYDailyNews. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- VIDEO: ‘It doesn’t look promising’: Jim Jordan says of impeachment
- REPORT: Details emerge of connection between Schiff aide and alleged whistleblower
- VIDEO: Witness makes admission about Ukranian phone call, Schiff jumps in to halt Nunes’s questioning
- REPORT: Maxine Waters fires back at Ben Carson
- REPORT: Pence’s office responds to Sondland’s testimony claiming he raised concerns about investigations
- VIDEO: Lindsey Graham says he’s “confident” the whistleblower is from the “deep state.”
- VIDEO: Mark Levin: Schiff awakened ‘sleeping giant’ with impeachment
- VIDEO: Liberal Democrat lawyer backs Trump after impeachment hearings
- REPORT: Trump administration sends letter to landowners regarding border wall construction
- REPORT: Republican tells Eric Swalwell to ‘shut up’ during impeachment hearing
Send this to a friend