REPORT: Google to shut down Plus
The New York Times is reporting that Google will shut down its ill-fated Google Plus social network over a security flaw that exposed the private data of up to 500,000 users. The vulnerability revealed the email address, occupation, gender and age of the users to 438 third-party applications via online programming interfaces.
Google discovered the flaw in March but chose not to disclose details because, the company says, it did not appear anyone had gained access to the data, and its privacy team decided it was not legally necessary.
The company made the call amid Facebook’s Cambridge Analytica scandal, when it saw how bad public blowback over data security could be. (An internal memo seen by the WSJ warned of “immediate regulatory interest” if the company went public.) Sharon Ovide of Bloomberg Opinion argues that the decision was unwise:
If the company had disclosed the Google Plus problem in March, it would have been a big deal but not a crisis. This cover-up, however, makes the Google Plus digital-security problem so much worse.
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
Trending on DML News
- OpEd: Venezuelan who fled socialism publishes alarming warning on Ocasio-Cortez’s ‘Green New Deal’
- REPORT: Democrat congress members took $60,000 trip to attend Beyonce concert in South Africa
- BREAKING: ‘Empire’ producers announce decision on Jussie Smollett following charges
- VIDEO: Roseanne Barr releases video blasting Ocasio-Cortez and socialism
- VIDEO: Trump has a plan to deal with attempt to block emergency order
- REPORT: Ocasio-Cortez rips media for reporting on her new luxury high-rise
- VIDEO: State senator calls U.S. flag a ‘rag,’ compares it to Nazi symbol, GOP senator gives emotional response
- REPORT: Covington Catholic lawyer ‘looking very carefully’ at Bill Maher over ‘defamatory’ statements (VIDEO)
- BREAKING: Singer R. Kelly Charged With Aggravated Criminal Sexual Abuse
- VIDEO: Jussie Smollett disses Donald Trump in leaked video of scrapped ‘Drop the Mic’ episode