REPORT: Harris, Ocasio-Cortez team up to pitch bill to help individuals with criminal records
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by TheHill.com:
Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.), a 2020 White House hopeful, and Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) are introducing legislation aimed at making it easier for individuals with criminal records to get federal housing assistance and limit evictions.
The bill, named the Fair Chance at Housing Act, would ban tenants from being evicted after one incident of criminal activity and over the activities of guests.
The article goes on to state the following:
“Too many people become involved in our criminal justice system and serve their time only to return home to face additional barriers to employment, education, and housing. …By requiring a higher standard of evidence and a more holistic review process, we are taking a significant step toward giving Americans a fair chance to succeed,” Harris said in a statement.
Ocasio-Cortez added that “denying housing to those that have been formerly incarcerated increases recidivism. Today we are taking a step to make our communities safer.”
Too many people come out of the criminal justice system only to face additional barriers to transitioning back into their community.
That’s why I’m proud to introduce a bill today with @AOC to ensure people with criminal records have access to safe and affordable housing.
— Kamala Harris (@SenKamalaHarris) July 10, 2019
Here’s how the ‘Housing Act’ will aim to help men and women released from prison secure stable housing without fear of unfair eviction.https://t.co/2lcB4g3dLZ
— BET News (@BETNews) July 10, 2019
Kamala Harris joining forces with AOC to stop families from being kicked out of public housing
The “Fair Chance at Housing Act” aims to help people who have gone to jail get back on their feet and rejoin their communities.https://t.co/WhP9lEurNa
— New York Daily News (@NYDailyNews) July 10, 2019
— The Hill (@thehill) July 10, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit TheHill.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- VIDEO: Biden blames Trump for 7-year-old’s ‘racist’ question
- REPORT: Brothers, aged 1 and 3, drown after falling into family pool
- VIDEO: Twitter philanthropist surprises disabled vet with new car after Trump re-tweeted him
- REPORT: 16 dog food brands may cause heart disease in pets, FDA warns
- REPORT: ‘Underage’ Migrant Sentenced for Murder of Teenager
- VIDEO: Detective describes disturbing evidence he gave Feds on Epstein
- REPORT: Ex-White House spokesperson joins Fox Corporation
- One NFL team makes up half of the players still protesting, kneeling