REPORT: Here’s why identity theft peaks during tax season
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by NYPost.com:
April is the cruelest month for some taxpayers, many of whom are not only paying higher taxes, but also falling victim to identity theft.
“Scammers are particularly relentless in April,” said AARP fraud expert Kathy Stokes. “While there’s no simple solution, you can outsmart the con artists. File your taxes early, before they beat you to it, shred financial documents you no longer need.”
According to the report, 200,000 tax identity fraud victims were recorded last year. EBeating scammers means knowing what the authorities know.
The article goes on to state the following:
The IRS, Stokes said, will not call and threaten arrest for taxes owed and demand “a gift card as a form of payment, but impostors will.”
In Shred-it’s 2019 Tax Season and Fraud Prevention Report, they reveal that taxpayers should not store paperwork in an unlocked cabinet, and they should destroy ant taxpayer documents before putting them in the garbage.
#HeadsUp #TaxDay is 4/15! Use a secure internet connection if filing electronically or mail your tax return directly @ the post office. Learn more: https://t.co/3bJVn9ZhaD Your #MoneyMatters #KnowledgeIsPower – prevent #IdentityTheft @pbcgov @pbctv20 @pbclibrary @PBCountySheriff pic.twitter.com/7J5uwbUJNk
— PBC Consumer Affairs (@PBCConsumer) April 11, 2019
Did you know tax identity theft is one of the most common forms of identity theft reported to the Federal Trade Commission? For financial literacy month, SouthEast Bank would like to give you tips on how to prevent Tax ID fraud: https://t.co/OsFaqXyzr4 pic.twitter.com/OWXp5rE1mj
— SouthEast Bank (@SouthEastBank) April 8, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit NYPost.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting NYPost.com
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: State Dems approve mega-millions in tuition aid for illegal immigrants – after blocking same for Gold Star families
- REPORT: Lori Loughlin’s DAUGHTER under investigation for college sacndal
- VIDEO: Pelosi undermines Trump abroad on US-UK trade deal
- REPORT: Fired DOJ official blasts President Trump in TIME 100 bio on Robert Mueller
- REPORT: Department of Correction officer busted for drunk driving on FDR Drive
- EXCLUSIVE: Filmmaker reveals SOLUTION to immigration crisis that everyone is ignoring (VIDEO)
- REPORT: Federal judge compares Trump to Ku Klux Klan and Jim Crow segregationists
- How You Can Help Stop Amnesty
- REPORT: Fox News personality to become Treasury spokesperson
- REPORT: Trump makes first direct comments about running against Buttigieg (Audio)