REPORT: Hiring of customs, border agents falling short of needs
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by TUCSONSENTINEL.COM:
Customs and Border Protection is getting better at attracting and hiring job applicants, but the agency still faces thousands of vacancies in its law enforcement ranks, according to a recent Government Accountability Office report.
The report said that the number of Border Patrol agents actually fell from 2013 to 2017, at a time when the government was increasing the number of agent positions.
“It’s a huge deal, especially now,” said Art Del Cueto, vice president of the Southwest chapter of the National Border Patrol Council. “Now you have less agents… when you’re by yourself it’s easier for agents to be attacked.”
The article goes on to state the following:
The report said staffing for BP agents, who patrol between ports of entry, was 6,933 agents short of the authorized level of more than 26,000 for fiscal 2017. Staffing for officers, who work at the border crossings, was 1,100 employees below the target level of more than 24,000 for that year.
Those shortfalls come despite steep gains in the number of new applicants, with the GAO reporting that the number of applications to the agency overall tripled from fiscal 2013 to 2017. Applications to Border Patrol agent positions increased from 27,000 applications in 2013 to more than 91,000 in 2017, while CBP officer applications increased from 22,500 in 2013 to 85,000 in 2017, according to the report.
In a statement, the agency attributed the increase to an aggressive effort to target untapped areas for new hires.
To weigh in on this information provided by TUCSONSENTINEL.COM, engage in our LIVE CHAT below. Scroll down.
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting TUCSONSENTINEL.COM
Trending on DML News
- VIDEO: Ohio woman’s cancer disappears after groundbreaking clinical trial
- VIDEO: Two Youth Severely Injured after Falling off Border Wall
- BREAKING: Mexico is closing off border in key region
- VIDEO: Convicted child abuser goes berserk, attacks prosecutors in courtroom at sentencing
- BREAKING: Republican-led Senate breaks with Trump on Saudi vote
- BREAKING: Publisher of National Enquirer claims it paid hush money to help Trump
- BREAKING: Kansas state Republican switches party affiliation to Democrat
- BREAKING: House passes $867 billion farm bill, giving Trump major win
- REPORT: Incoming NY Attorney General claims she’ll do everything in her power to investigate Trump, and his family
- REPORT: Bah humbug! Trump CANCELS the traditional White House Christmas Party