REPORT: Homelessness becomes crisis among college students [VIDEO]
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by USATODAY.COM:
A survey of nearly 86,000 students taken last fall by The Hope Center for College, Community and Justice found that homelessness affected 18% of respondents attending two-year colleges, and 14% of those attending four-year institutions. The number who said they had experienced housing insecurity, such as difficulty paying rent, was much higher, at 60%, among those attending two-year schools, and at 48% for those enrolled in four-year institutions.
“These are people who might not be on the street at this point but they do not have a fixed and regular place to sleep, and that creates stress that interferes with education,” says Sara Goldrick-Rab, founding director of the Hope Center, which focuses on research, activism and student support to improve access to higher education. “If they are temporarily staying with a relative or couch surfing with a friend, that is also homelessness.”
The article goes on to state the following:
A combination of factors, including rising tuition, financial aid packages that fail to keep up with the costs of food, gas and child care, and an overall lack of affordable housing have fueled the homelessness crisis among college students.
With many college students saying they’ve been homeless, schools, lawmakers and community groups are trying to take on the crisis. https://t.co/7shBqPI7MV
— USA TODAY Money (@USATODAYmoney) June 10, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit USATODAY.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- VIDEO: Father-of-three blows up home on day of daughter’s wedding
- REPORT: Liberal paper passed on thinly sourced Kavanaugh story before NYT published it
- REPORT: Kim Jong Un sends invitation to President Trump
- Growing ‘Garbage Patch’ in ocean is 3 times the size of France (videos)
- How You Can Help Stop Amnesty
- Man tries to bribe wheelchair-bound woman after sexually assaulting her
- REPORT: Ocasio-Cortez makes request on Manafort being sent to Rikers Island