REPORT: House votes on pro-NATO resolution hours after Trump criticism
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM:
The House on Wednesday unanimously approved a resolution supporting NATO just hours after President Trump rebuked the intergovernmental military alliance.
The House approved the nonbinding measure by voice vote. The Senate passed a similar resolution on Tuesday by a vote of 97-2. Republican Sens. Mike Lee, of Utah, and Rand Paul, of Kentucky, voted against the Senate measure.
The article goes on to state the following:
Hours before the House vote, Trump, who is attending at NATO summit in Brussels, criticized the alliance by attacking Germany’s reliance on Russian gas. Trump also called for NATO nations to pay more to support the alliance.
“What good is NATO if Germany is paying Russia billions of dollars for gas and energy?” Trump tweeted later.
“Why are there only 5 out of 29 countries that have met their commitment? The U.S. is paying for Europe’s protection, then loses billions on Trade. Must pay 2% of GDP IMMEDIATELY, not by 2025.”
House Speaker Paul Ryan, R-Wis., defended NATO Wednesday as “indispensable,” but also said he backed Trump’s call for nations in the alliance to pay the 2 percent of GDP they owe. Trump later said NATO countries should spend up to 4 percent of GDP.
To weigh in on this information provided by WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM, engage in our LIVE CHAT below. Scroll down.
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM
Trending on DML News
- DML Monday night, quick Walk & Talk May 20
- POLL: Should Don Lemon be fired for his racist statement against white men?
- REPORT: American ex-Taliban militant set to walk free
- REPORT: Twitter user who asked Warren for help with her love life says they spoke on the phone
- REPORT: Buttigieg appears on cover of gay magazine [PHOTO]
- REPORT: House Democrat shares text exchange with son about impeaching Trump
- BREAKING: Shooting leaves 5 schools on lockdown as cops hunt for killer on loose
- VIDEO: The twisted motive behind the alleged murder-for-hire plot that’s rocked the NYPD
- VIDEO: Dems use hearing to repeatedly quiz, stump Ben Carson on obscure acronyms
- REPORT: Former DOJ official “surprised” by one section of Mueller report