REPORT: Immigrant rights group files complaint against DHS over immigrant children
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by TheHill.com:
An immigrant advocacy group on Wednesday filed a civil rights complaint against the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), accusing Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) of wrongfully detaining migrant children for longer than is legally allowed.
The Refugee and Immigrant Center for Education and Legal Services (RAICES) alleged in a complaint filed with DHS’s Office for Civil Rights and Civil Liberties that five children at the Karnes County detention center in Karnes City, Texas, have been held for between 41 and 58 days.
The article goes on to state the following:
The federal government is barred from detaining undocumented children for more than 20 days under the 1997 Flores settlement agreement without releasing them into a sponsor’s custody.
“RAICES has recently seen a disturbing trend in which DHS has detained children and their fathers at the Karnes Detention Center far longer than the 20-day period contemplated by the FSA,” the complaint says.
“RAICES alleges that through these actions, multiple components of DHS, including [U.S. Customs and Border Protection], ICE, and [United States Citizenship and Immigration Services] violate the civil rights and civil liberties of these children and their fathers,” it continues.
To get more information about this article, please visit TheHill.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting TheHill.com
Trending on DML News
- DML Monday night, quick Walk & Talk May 20
- POLL: Should Don Lemon be fired for his racist statement against white men?
- REPORT: American ex-Taliban militant set to walk free
- REPORT: Twitter user who asked Warren for help with her love life says they spoke on the phone
- REPORT: Buttigieg appears on cover of gay magazine [PHOTO]
- REPORT: House Democrat shares text exchange with son about impeaching Trump
- BREAKING: Shooting leaves 5 schools on lockdown as cops hunt for killer on loose
- VIDEO: The twisted motive behind the alleged murder-for-hire plot that’s rocked the NYPD
- VIDEO: Dems use hearing to repeatedly quiz, stump Ben Carson on obscure acronyms
- NYC law professor bashes white people in op-ed