REPORT: Important things to know about new Acting AG Matthew Whitaker
President Trump made the surprise announcement on Wednesday that “Matthew G. Whitaker, Chief of Staff to Attorney General Jeff Sessions at the Department of Justice, will become our new Acting Attorney General of the United States.”
Reportedly, at the request of the president, Sessions submitted his letter of resignation Wednesday morning.
Fox News published a report listing three important facts to know about Whitaker, 49, who was appointed by Sessions to serve as his Chief of Staff in September 2017.
- Whitaker, from Iowa, is a former Hawkeye football star. He played in the 1991 Rose Bowl for the University of Iowa as a tight end, the Des Moines Register points out.
- Whitaker is a “respected Republican,” according to the Register. He has worn many hats throughout his political career, including serving as co-chairman for former Texas Gov. Rick Perry’s 2012 presidential campaign, the newspaper reports. He was also executive director of Washington, D.C.-based Foundation for Accountability and Civic Trust, a non-profit dedicated to ethics and transparency in government, for roughly three years.
- Whitaker previously suggested Trump could possibly fire Sessions over his disappointment in the attorney general for recusing himself from Russia probe.
Whitaker previously served in the Justice Department during the George W. Bush administration as the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Iowa, beginning in June 2004 , and resigned in November 2009.
Whitaker also ran as a Republican candidate in the June 3, 2014, primary election for United States Senate election in Iowa.
“The Acting Attorney General is in charge of all matters under the purview of the Department of Justice,” Justice Department spokeswoman Sarah Isgur Flores said on Wednesday, following the announcement that he will be the temporary replacement for Jeff Sessions.
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
Trending on DML News
- BREAKING: GOP Sen. will back resolution to block Trump’s emergency declaration
- REPORT: Ocasio-Cortez goes on tear defending role in Amazon’s New York exit, Twitter users blast her
- OpEd: The family secret Bruce Ohr told Rod Rosenstein about Russia case
- REPORT: Tlaib rages against event in Detroit as ‘racist bulls—‘
- BREAKING: President Trump announces nominee to replace Rod Rosenstein as Deputy AG
- REPORT: ‘Never Trump’ leader says final blow to movement may be far-left move by Democrats
- REPORT: Prosecutor recuses herself from Jussie Smollett investigation
- VIDEO: Survey reveals Michelle Obama’s placement in 2020 race, if she runs
- BREAKING: Pompeo issues statement on Alabama woman who joined ISIS, denies her claim
- REPORT: Conservative group blasts Ocasio-Cortez over Amazon with Times Square billboard (PHOTO)