REPORT: Iran confirms it has arrested U.S. Navy veteran Michael White
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by REUTERS.COM:
GENEVA (Reuters) – Iran confirmed on Wednesday it had arrested an American, confirming U.S. media reports about a case that risks further worsening relations with Washington.
The New York Times reported on Monday that Michael White, a 46-year-old U.S. Navy veteran, was arrested while visiting Iran and had been held since July on unspecified charges.
The article goes on to state the following:
Iran had not confirmed the arrest before the state news agency IRNA carried a statement by foreign ministry spokesman Bahram Qassemi on Wednesday, which did not specify when it had happened or what crime he was accused of.
Qassemi said Iran had informed the U.S. government about White’s arrest within days of when he was taken into custody and denied that White had been poorly treated.
Reuters also reported the following:
White’s mother, Joanne, told the New York Times her son had visited Iran “five or six times” to meet his Iranian girlfriend
She reported her son’s disappearance after he failed to return in July but learned from the State Department only three weeks ago that he was being held in Iran.
— Middle East Monitor (@MiddleEastMnt) January 9, 2019
— Dan Popescu (@PopescuCo) January 9, 2019
The #US State Department said on Tuesday it was aware of reports of the detention of a #US citizen held in #Iran for more than six months, amid heightened tensions between the countries following the reimposition of #US sanctions https://t.co/Fy0bszkfyG pic.twitter.com/opm579j0By
— Arab News (@arabnews) January 9, 2019
Iran has been holding an American Navy veteran in prison on unspecified charges since late July, when he was seized while visiting an Iranian girlfriend, his mother said https://t.co/AgHCfh7V2M
— The New York Times (@nytimes) January 8, 2019
Michael White was arrested in July, two months after Trump’s withdrawal from the nuclear deal. He had visited Iran three times to see a girl friend. The news was first reported by @IranWire. https://t.co/upWvOUOUSW
— Bozorgmehr Sharafedin (@bozorgmehr) January 8, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit REUTERS.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: Rep. Gaetz makes rare move to join Dem on amendment to block Trump on Iran
- BREAKING: Minnesota Lawmaker Calls For Ethics Investigation Into Rep. Ilhan Omar [VIDEO]
- UPDATE: David Ortiz shooting: Authorities reveal plot to kill ‘Big Papi’, 6 detained
- REPORT: DNA tests reveal shocking percentage of suspected fraudulent migrant families were unrelated
- VIDEO: Trump presents Medal of Honor to Staff Sergeant David Bellavia
- REPORT: Tear Gas And Cages: What Immigration Enforcement Looked Like Under Vice President Joe Biden (PICTURES)
- BREAKING: Podium placement for first Democratic debate revealed
- REPORT: Gillibrand announces progress toward securing 9/11 victim benefits
- REPORT: Young female cop shot and killed just 2 weeks after being sworn in
- Text messages discredit anti-gun march organizer’s alleged statement claiming Hunter Pollack was invited to speak at march