REPORT: Iran confirms it has arrested U.S. Navy veteran Michael White
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by REUTERS.COM:
GENEVA (Reuters) – Iran confirmed on Wednesday it had arrested an American, confirming U.S. media reports about a case that risks further worsening relations with Washington.
The New York Times reported on Monday that Michael White, a 46-year-old U.S. Navy veteran, was arrested while visiting Iran and had been held since July on unspecified charges.
The article goes on to state the following:
Iran had not confirmed the arrest before the state news agency IRNA carried a statement by foreign ministry spokesman Bahram Qassemi on Wednesday, which did not specify when it had happened or what crime he was accused of.
Qassemi said Iran had informed the U.S. government about White’s arrest within days of when he was taken into custody and denied that White had been poorly treated.
Reuters also reported the following:
White’s mother, Joanne, told the New York Times her son had visited Iran “five or six times” to meet his Iranian girlfriend
She reported her son’s disappearance after he failed to return in July but learned from the State Department only three weeks ago that he was being held in Iran.
— Middle East Monitor (@MiddleEastMnt) January 9, 2019
— Dan Popescu (@PopescuCo) January 9, 2019
The #US State Department said on Tuesday it was aware of reports of the detention of a #US citizen held in #Iran for more than six months, amid heightened tensions between the countries following the reimposition of #US sanctions https://t.co/Fy0bszkfyG pic.twitter.com/opm579j0By
— Arab News (@arabnews) January 9, 2019
Iran has been holding an American Navy veteran in prison on unspecified charges since late July, when he was seized while visiting an Iranian girlfriend, his mother said https://t.co/AgHCfh7V2M
— The New York Times (@nytimes) January 8, 2019
Michael White was arrested in July, two months after Trump’s withdrawal from the nuclear deal. He had visited Iran three times to see a girl friend. The news was first reported by @IranWire. https://t.co/upWvOUOUSW
— Bozorgmehr Sharafedin (@bozorgmehr) January 8, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit REUTERS.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting REUTERS.COM
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: White House explains bandage on Trump’s hand, Twitter goes wild (PHOTOS)
- BREAKING: Pelosi sends letter to Trump on his State of the Union address
- VIDEO: Clemson Tigers get ANOTHER meal invite after Trump’s fast-food meal
- REPORT: Kremlin responds to theory of Trump being a ‘Russian agent’
- VIDEO: Border ranchers share alarm about prayer rugs found on their property
- REPORT: Clemson quarterback says White House quote is fake
- REPORT: Rashida Tlaib lambasts ‘right wing media’ over coverage of picture with pro-Hezbollah activist
- REPORT: Ocasio-Cortez, freshmen Dems attempt to hand deliver request to McConnell (pictures)
- REPORT: House passes relief bill to fund government, six Republicans vote with Dems
- BREAKING: Top Trump official resigned over White House Puerto Rico plan