REPORT: Is coronavirus a greater risk to smokers?
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by DailyMail:
Smokers face a greater risk of suffering severe complications from the coronavirus, according to research.
Chinese academics found a quarter of infected patients who needed life support or died were smokers.
The article goes on to state the following:
In contrast, only 11 per cent of patients with mild symptoms such as a cough and a fever were smokers.
Another study in Wuhan found similar results: the disease progressed further in smokers.
European Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (ECDC) agency for disease control, while noting that the data was still limited, also said smoking can lead to more serious complications from a coronavirus infection.
In an updated assessment of risks caused by the coronavirus, the ECDC included smokers as potentially vulnerable to COVID-19.
“It also said data from China showed 80% of people infected with the disease had only mild symptoms, but in Europe that percentage dropped to 70%, as three in every 10 cases have required hospitalization,” Reuters reported.
— ABC7 Eyewitness News (@ABC7) March 25, 2020
To get more information about this article, please visit DailyMail. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- BREAKING: Trump makes announcement on possible coronavirus quarantines in 3 states
- REPORT: Legendary country singer/songwriter in critical condition
- VIDEO: Dr. Fauci estimates when social distancing guidelines can be lifted
- BREAKING: China makes admission about coronavirus whistleblower doctor punished by police, who died from the virus
- REPORT: New York nurse shares chilling photo of coronavirus victims to show ‘the ghastly reality’
- VIDEO: 1st person arrested for violating NY’s COVID-19 executive order
- REPORT: Major retailer to close all stores in the US to limit coronavirus spread
- REPORT: Chinese markets still selling bats and slaughtering dogs, cats, rabbits in gruesome market scene
- VIDEO: Mnuchin says when checks from coronavirus bill will be coming
- REPORT: NY hospitals treating coronavirus patients with VITAMIN after promising results