REPORT: Judge overturns assisted death law in liberal state
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by SACBEE.COM:
A judge in Riverside County on Tuesday overturned California’s controversial assisted death law nearly two years after it took effect, ruling that the Legislature improperly passed the measure during a special session on health care funding.
The court is holding its judgment for five days, according to representatives for supporters and opponents of the law, to give Attorney General Xavier Becerra time to file an emergency appeal.
The article goes on to state the following:
Signed by Gov. Jerry Brown in 2015, the assisted death law allows doctors to prescribe lethal drugs to patients with six months or less to live. Proponents say the option provides dignity to terminally ill patients by affording them more control over the end of their lives.
But the bill originally fell short that year amid opposition from oncologists, Catholic hospitals, clergy and disability rights groups, who argued that the policy was immoral and could have a detrimental impact on the availability of care for the state’s most vulnerable patients.
After failing in the regular legislative session, lawmakers successfully revived the assisted death proposal in a special session called by Brown to find a source of funding for public health programs.
To weigh in on this information provided by SACBEE.COM, engage in our LIVE CHAT below. Scroll down.
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting SACBEE.COM
Trending on DML News
- BREAKING: North Korea responds to Trump canceling summit (VIDEO)
- BREAKING: Trump releases letter cancelling North Korea summit
- VIDEO: Trump responds to Comey’s taunt about grandchildren
- VIDEO: Trump’s response to new National Anthem policy sends Dems into orbit
- DML TV: Eerie blue flames in Hawaii raise new fears of explosions
- REPORT: Judge denies top news outlets access to sealed records in Mueller investigation
- VIDEO: Trump wants the ‘whole package’ in an immigration deal
- UPDATE: Evicted 30-year-old who ‘failed to launch’ gets job offer (Video)
- BREAKING: North Korea declares its nuclear test site closed after a ‘huge explosion’
- REPORT: Judge candidate dies 1 day after primary victory