REPORT: ‘Just Calm Down’: Sheila Jackson Lee Sparks Fiery Exchange During Immigration Hearing
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by DAILYCALLER.COM:
Washington — Three months after immigration authorities carried out aof nearly 700 undocumented workers at food processing plants in Mississippi, lawmakers grilled one of the officials who oversaw the operation over the decision not to warn local stakeholders, the lack of enforcement actions against employers and the separations of children from immigrant parents who remain detained.
The House Homeland Security Committee held a field hearing in Tougaloo, Mississippi, on Thursday regarding Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s (ICE) arrest of 680 illegal aliens in August who were working at several food processing facilities across the state. Democrats on the committee complained that the agency did not warn local officials before the raid, and also chastised the operation for resulting in family separations.
The article goes on to state the following:
“It’s one thing to sit here and say ‘this is cruel, this is this, this the other,’ but it is the law, and the Congress writes and enacts the law. We don’t. The problem with looking at us and saying ‘you should exercise discretion’ is I honestly believe it puts too much power in the hands of police. Do you not?” [Jere Miles, the special agent in charge of the New Orleans office of ICE’s Homeland Security Investigations], speaking on behalf of ICE, said to Jackson Lee at one point during the hearing.
Jackson Lee disagreed, saying “It is not Congress’s policy to separate families and mothers from children. That is the policy of the president of the United States.”
Jackson Lee and Miles continued to disagree, prompting Democratic Mississippi Rep. Bennie Thompson to chastise Miles, telling him to “just calm down” and let Jackson Lee ask the questions.
When Miles said he was clam, Thompson told him to “be quiet,” the DCNF reports.
To get more information about this article, please visit DAILYCALLER.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: NFL releases statement on Kaepernick after workout stunt
- BREAKING: Supreme Court Chief Justice announces Ginsburg is ill
- VIDEO: Lindsey Graham says he’s “confident” the whistleblower is from the “deep state.”
- VIDEO: ‘Crying like a little child’: Don Trump Jr. rips whistleblower over Clinton loss
- REPORT: Another traveling family attacked by cartel in northern Mexico, one dead
- VIDEO: Democrat against impeachment calls out party for ‘fracturing the nation’ with investigation
- VIDEO: Fox host hits MSNBC for impeachment coverage with George Conway
- REPORT: Michigan county seized retiree’s home over $8 debt – now he’s fighting back
- VIDEO: Former police officer fires back at Joy Behar for suggesting politicians keep gun confiscation a ‘secret’
- EXCLUSIVE: The final Instagram post by murdered pregnant mom Shanann Watts