REPORT: Kamala Harris forced to address alleged sex assault where her husband works
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by NBCNews.com:
Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Kamala Harris was pulled Monday into a sexual assault dispute at the Silicon Valley law firm where her husband, Douglas Emhoff, is a partner.
Emhoff works for DLA Piper, where a junior partner named Vanina Guerrero has charged last week in a complaint to the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission that she was sexually assaulted four times by a top deal-maker at the firm, Louis Lehot.
The article goes on to state the following:
In a letter to Harris published on Medium on Monday, Guerrero’s lawyer, Jeanne Christensen, asked for the California senator’s help in getting her client released from DLA Piper’s mandatory arbitration rules so she can “get her day in court.”
“I am sure that you would agree that silencing women though forced arbitration must end,” Christensen wrote. “No female employee, including a new partner, would knowingly agree to waive her right to our court system for claims involving sexual assault, battery, or rape. Given your profile as a candidate for the Democratic nominee for President of the United States, you are in a unique position to condemn the actions of DLA Piper and made clear that mandatory arbitration must stop.”
The request produced a response. Lily Adams, Harris’ communications director, sent a statement saying Harris “has been and continues to be a staunch advocate for survivors” and that she “believes all people must be guaranteed their day in court.”
“[Harris] has long opposed forced arbitration agreements and that position has not changed and she does not believe this is any exception,” the statement said.
DLA Piper is one of the largest law firms in the world. Trying to hold Kamala Harris accountable for alleged misconduct at her husband’s law firm is nothing short of misogynoir. https://t.co/SuGlyTjuHc
— Adrienne Lawrence – IG: @AdrienneLawrence (@AdrienneLaw) October 7, 2019
— Christopher Cadelago (@ccadelago) October 7, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit NBCNews.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: Poll reveals percentage of Dems who want candidates to discuss Hunter Biden
- DML: First Stop on TEAM DML National Tour announced
- Human waste map reveals major city is largest ‘s***hole’ in America
- REPORT: CNN responds to ‘rumor’ Trump tweeted about network’s Jeff Zucker
- HAPPENING NOW: Democratic candidates debate in Ohio
- VIDEO: ‘Cooper, Your Bias is Showing’: Debate Moderator Slammed For Biden Question
- REPORT: ‘Saturday Night Live’ sees big change in ratings
- BREAKING: Manafort partner describes funneling millions through Cyprus accounts
- VIDEO: Hunter Biden speaks out in exclusive interview, as past business associations come under scrutiny