REPORT: Kavanaugh once predicted ‘one race’ in the eyes of government, raising concerns about affirmative action
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by WashingtonPost:
In the spring of 2015, Brett M. Kavanaugh returned to his alma mater in New Haven, Conn., to address the Black Law Students Association. The student who introduced him said Kavanaugh was concerned that African Americans and other minorities were being shut out of coveted clerkships with federal judges like him.
Kavanaugh concluded the session by handing out his email address and phone number and encouraging the Yale students to apply. Indeed, two of Kavanaugh’s four law clerks this year were African American students he met during annual visits to Yale, and Kavanaugh and his supporters have touted his record of hiring young lawyers from diverse backgrounds to work with him at the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit.
The article goes on to state the following:
Yet even as Kavanaugh has taken steps to open up an elite, historically white and male network, civil rights advocates cite legal opinions, interviews and writings that suggest he would weaken broad legal protections for minorities. Interest groups on both sides say Kavanaugh could be the vote conservatives have been looking for to speed the demise of affirmative action in college admissions.
Civil rights advocates and Democratic lawmakers point in particular to an opinion he wrote in 2012 delaying but ultimately allowing voter identification requirements in South Carolina that were opposed by the Justice Department, and to his description in 1999, when he was a lawyer in private practice, of a government program for Native Hawaiians as a “naked racial-spoils system.” In that case, embracing the language of Justice Antonin Scalia, Kavanaugh wrote in a newspaper column that the Supreme Court would eventually, inevitably find that “in the eyes of government, we are just one race.”
Brett Kavanaugh once predicted ‘one race’ in the eyes of government. Would he end affirmative action? https://t.co/2TRF65n9CD
— Daily World News (@dwnreport) August 8, 2018
To weigh in on this information provided by WashingtonPost, engage in our LIVE CHAT below. Scroll down.
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting WashingtonPost
Trending on DML News
- Mexico helicopter crash kills more than a dozen day after earthquake (pictures)
- DML TV
- BREAKING: President Trump is removing US Secret Service director
- VIDEO: State of the Union attendees sing ‘Happy Birthday’ to survivor of Holocaust, 2018 synagogue shooting
- REPORT: Pelosi announces next move on Mueller report: ‘Congress will not be silent’
- BREAKING: US intelligence accuses China of using student spies to steal secrets
- REPORT: Activist Actress: “I do not have equal rights… because I have a vagina”
- SHARE VIDEO: DML warns President Trump of another hidden cost of illegal immigration
- VIDEO: Colbert hits Trump after Mueller report over ‘I’m f***d’ statement
- Dan Bongino blasts out explosive Twitter Storm on FISA Abuse memo