REPORT: Kavanaugh once predicted ‘one race’ in the eyes of government, raising concerns about affirmative action
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by WashingtonPost:
In the spring of 2015, Brett M. Kavanaugh returned to his alma mater in New Haven, Conn., to address the Black Law Students Association. The student who introduced him said Kavanaugh was concerned that African Americans and other minorities were being shut out of coveted clerkships with federal judges like him.
Kavanaugh concluded the session by handing out his email address and phone number and encouraging the Yale students to apply. Indeed, two of Kavanaugh’s four law clerks this year were African American students he met during annual visits to Yale, and Kavanaugh and his supporters have touted his record of hiring young lawyers from diverse backgrounds to work with him at the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit.
The article goes on to state the following:
Yet even as Kavanaugh has taken steps to open up an elite, historically white and male network, civil rights advocates cite legal opinions, interviews and writings that suggest he would weaken broad legal protections for minorities. Interest groups on both sides say Kavanaugh could be the vote conservatives have been looking for to speed the demise of affirmative action in college admissions.
Civil rights advocates and Democratic lawmakers point in particular to an opinion he wrote in 2012 delaying but ultimately allowing voter identification requirements in South Carolina that were opposed by the Justice Department, and to his description in 1999, when he was a lawyer in private practice, of a government program for Native Hawaiians as a “naked racial-spoils system.” In that case, embracing the language of Justice Antonin Scalia, Kavanaugh wrote in a newspaper column that the Supreme Court would eventually, inevitably find that “in the eyes of government, we are just one race.”
Brett Kavanaugh once predicted ‘one race’ in the eyes of government. Would he end affirmative action? https://t.co/2TRF65n9CD
— Daily World News (@dwnreport) August 8, 2018
To weigh in on this information provided by WashingtonPost, engage in our LIVE CHAT below. Scroll down.
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting WashingtonPost
Trending on DML News
- BREAKING: Shooting outside football stadium; multiple people reportedly shot
- REPORT: “It was one of the most horrific accidents I have ever seen”: Suspected DUI head-on collision kills 6 in Utah
- REPORT: Democrats hold 9-point lead over Republicans in battle for House: poll
- REPORT: Trump’s approval rating jumps higher than Obama’s ahead of midterms
- BREAKING: Guatelmala president reported nearly 100 ISIS terrorists caught
- Trump Tweets: Caravan and Dems. DML responds.
- Trump Tweets: Releases statement on unstoppable caravan
- REPORT: Ted Cruz asked if Trump is a friend or foe; his answer is complicated
- The latest photos from Mexico caravan as number hits 10k
- REPORT: Special counsel examines conflicting accounts as scrutiny of Roger Stone and WikiLeaks deepens