REPORT: Lawmaker who warned about driving drunk resigns as GOP leader after DWI arrest
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by NBCNews.com:
A top New York Republican who was arrested for DWI one week after he wrote a column warning about the dangers of drunk driving is stepping down from his leadership position.
Brian Kolb announced he was stepping down as minority leader of the state Assembly on Friday, three days after he drove his state-issued vehicle into a ditch near his upstate New York home.
The article goes on to state the following:
An Ontario County sheriff’s deputy administered field sobriety tests, which Kolb failed, officials said.
Just one week earlier, Kolb had written an op-ed warning people to not drink and drive during the holidays, and noted that December was National Drunk and Drugged Driving Prevention Month.
On Friday, he issued a statement, announcing he was stepping down as Minority Leader. He wrote:
I will be forever grateful for the confidence my colleagues have placed in me for the past 10 years. But in my heart, I know that this is the right time for a new leader to step in and advance an agenda that benefits all New Yorkers.
The events of December 31 are ones I will always deeply regret. On a personal level, I have begun the process of seeking professional help in order to heal, learn, and fully address the challenges that I, along with my family, currently face.
NY Republican Assembly Minority Leader Brian Kolb was charged last night for driving under the influence.
About one week ago, he penned an op-ed reminding people not to drink and drive. pic.twitter.com/jvvOqmKkXT
— Benjamin Rosenblatt (@BenJ_Rosenblatt) January 1, 2020
A New York Republican who was arrested for DWI one week after he wrote a column warning about the dangers of drunk driving is stepping down from his leadership position. https://t.co/EMv5qGkOFt
— NBC News (@NBCNews) January 3, 2020
To get more information about this article, please visit NBCNews.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- VIDEO: Here’s when New York’s coronavirus apex is likely to hit
- REPORT: Wife of former New Jersey mayor found dead from self-inflicted gunshot
- BREAKING: Trump makes announcement on possible coronavirus quarantines in 3 states
- UPDATE: New York’s darkest day: Cuomo gives stunning new figures on state’s coronavirus deaths
- BREAKING: China makes admission about coronavirus whistleblower doctor punished by police, who died from the virus
- REPORT: New York co-op kicked volunteering doctor out of brother’s apartment
- REPORT: NY hospitals treating coronavirus patients with VITAMIN after promising results
- REPORT: Leaked papers reveal SHOCKING coronavirus cases, deaths that US hospitals are secretly preparing for
- REPORT: Early Data Shows African Americans Have Contracted and Died of Coronavirus at an Alarming Rate
- REPORT: ‘The scary things that this virus can do’: Doctors across NYC share the harrowing reality of coronavirus care