REPORT: Major US city holds anti-violence protest amid staggering homicide rates (PICTURES)
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by FOXNEWS.COM:
Thousands of anti-violence protesters have shut down lanes on a major Chicago highway as part of a movement to increase pressure on public officials to address the gun violence that has claimed hundreds of lives in the city.
The Dan Ryan Expressway — a freeway that incorporates portions of Interstates 90 and 94 — was chosen for its historical significance, having been a symbol of racial segregation in the 1960s. ABC 7 Chicago reported that workers closed lanes on the highway but kept the left lanes open while the protesters marched. Video showed traffic moving slowly on the highway.
The article goes on to state the following:
Chicago police said the city saw 252 homicides and 1,100 shootings in the first six months of this year, a decrease from the same period last year. But those crimes have been heavily concentrated in predominantly black, low-income neighborhoods.
The Rev. Michael Pfleger, a Roman Catholic priest and anti-violence activist on the city’s South Side who will lead Saturday’s march, said the protesters will carry a banner with a list of demands. They include: more resources, jobs, better schools and stronger gun laws — things Pfleger says they’ve been seeking for years.
“When people keep ignoring you, you take it up a notch,” Pfleger said. “We are going to continue to take it up a notch until we get responses.”
— Jane Dupree (@JaneDupree1) July 7, 2018
— Linda Tirado (@KillerMartinis) July 7, 2018
— WFLA NEWS (@WFLA) July 7, 2018
Anti-violence protesters march onto Chicago freeway: Chicago sees bipartisan call for violence to be addressed; reaction on ‘Cavuto Live.’ https://t.co/fxDJWCd1Qs FollowforFollow pic.twitter.com/OAEIjgQXAr
— Edward Villanueva (@EdwardJump) July 7, 2018
— WLKY (@WLKY) July 7, 2018
Right now: Protestors on Chicago’s Dan Ryan expressway. Lead by @MichaelPfleger and Jesse Jackson. They came to “shut down” the freeway, only been given few lanes. Negotiating w/ state police for all lanes. #DanRyanShutDown pic.twitter.com/XWUxI70WcP
— Matt Finn (@MattFinnFNC) July 7, 2018
— wotv news (@wotv_news) July 7, 2018
To weigh in on this information provided by FOXNEWS.COM, engage in our LIVE CHAT below. Scroll down.
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting FOXNEWS.COM
Trending on DML News
- POLL: Do you view Trump’s attacks on McCain as disrespectful?
- BREAKING: American Islamic Group launches effort demanding Jeanine Pirro, Tucker Carlson be FIRED by Fox News
- REPORT: Update on Fox News host Jeanine Pirro program
- REPORT: Country singer dead at 35 after accidental shooting
- BREAKING: Former Muslim Murdoch Executive Says He Quit Over Fox’s ‘Anti-Muslim Rhetoric’ (AUDIO)
- BREAKING: Marine Corps commandant warns deploying troops to the border poses ‘unacceptable risk’
- BREAKING: Clinton, in newly revealed emails, discussed classified foreign policy matters, secretive ‘private’ comms channel with Israel
- REPORT: Sen. McSally spoke with Trump over McCain attacks
- VIDEO: Fox News Hosts Tear Into Trump Over John McCain Attacks
- VIDEO: Kellyanne Conway weighs in on Trump & husband dispute