REPORT: Major US city holds anti-violence protest amid staggering homicide rates (PICTURES)
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by FOXNEWS.COM:
Thousands of anti-violence protesters have shut down lanes on a major Chicago highway as part of a movement to increase pressure on public officials to address the gun violence that has claimed hundreds of lives in the city.
The Dan Ryan Expressway — a freeway that incorporates portions of Interstates 90 and 94 — was chosen for its historical significance, having been a symbol of racial segregation in the 1960s. ABC 7 Chicago reported that workers closed lanes on the highway but kept the left lanes open while the protesters marched. Video showed traffic moving slowly on the highway.
The article goes on to state the following:
Chicago police said the city saw 252 homicides and 1,100 shootings in the first six months of this year, a decrease from the same period last year. But those crimes have been heavily concentrated in predominantly black, low-income neighborhoods.
The Rev. Michael Pfleger, a Roman Catholic priest and anti-violence activist on the city’s South Side who will lead Saturday’s march, said the protesters will carry a banner with a list of demands. They include: more resources, jobs, better schools and stronger gun laws — things Pfleger says they’ve been seeking for years.
“When people keep ignoring you, you take it up a notch,” Pfleger said. “We are going to continue to take it up a notch until we get responses.”
— Jane Dupree (@JaneDupree1) July 7, 2018
— Linda Tirado (@KillerMartinis) July 7, 2018
— WFLA NEWS (@WFLA) July 7, 2018
Anti-violence protesters march onto Chicago freeway: Chicago sees bipartisan call for violence to be addressed; reaction on ‘Cavuto Live.’ https://t.co/fxDJWCd1Qs FollowforFollow pic.twitter.com/OAEIjgQXAr
— Edward Villanueva (@EdwardJump) July 7, 2018
— WLKY (@WLKY) July 7, 2018
Right now: Protestors on Chicago’s Dan Ryan expressway. Lead by @MichaelPfleger and Jesse Jackson. They came to “shut down” the freeway, only been given few lanes. Negotiating w/ state police for all lanes. #DanRyanShutDown pic.twitter.com/XWUxI70WcP
— Matt Finn (@MattFinnFNC) July 7, 2018
— wotv news (@wotv_news) July 7, 2018
To weigh in on this information provided by FOXNEWS.COM, engage in our LIVE CHAT below. Scroll down.
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting FOXNEWS.COM
Trending on DML News
- DML Monday night, quick Walk & Talk May 20
- POLL: Should Don Lemon be fired for his racist statement against white men?
- REPORT: American ex-Taliban militant set to walk free
- REPORT: Twitter user who asked Warren for help with her love life says they spoke on the phone
- REPORT: Buttigieg appears on cover of gay magazine [PHOTO]
- REPORT: House Democrat shares text exchange with son about impeaching Trump
- BREAKING: Shooting leaves 5 schools on lockdown as cops hunt for killer on loose
- VIDEO: The twisted motive behind the alleged murder-for-hire plot that’s rocked the NYPD
- VIDEO: Dems use hearing to repeatedly quiz, stump Ben Carson on obscure acronyms
- REPORT: Former DOJ official “surprised” by one section of Mueller report