Report: Major media network to lay off up to 50 employees
According to a report released Monday by Vanity Fair, the giant CNN network is planning to lay off as many as 50 employees this week, despite the bump in ratings they’ve received from leveraging the activities of the Trump White House.
Vanity Fair reported:
But despite the so-called Trump Bump, CNN appears to be re-thinking at least some elements of its digital strategy. I’ve learned that CNN, a key property in AT&T’s planned takeover of CNN’s parent company, Time Warner, is targeting big savings on the digital side, with as many as 50 jobs around the globe scheduled to be eliminated this week, according to people familiar with the matter, who noted the exact number could still be in flux.
The cuts will affect employees who work in premium businesses including CNN Money, video, product, tech and social publishing, these people said. Several high profile digital initiatives are being scaled back, including CNN’s virtual reality productions and its efforts on Snapchat, where CNN recently nixed a live daily webcast after just four months. CNN’s business-oriented MoneyStream app, as BuzzFeed reported earlier this month, is in the gutter as well. A team that works on the digital extensions of documentary-style TV shows, such as Anthony Bourdain’s Parts Unknown and Lisa Ling’s This is Life, as well as the Brooke Baldwin series American Woman, is also being reorganized.
“We’ve been transparent about our strategy,” said Matt Dornic, a representative for CNN. “In order to innovate, grow and experiment, we’ve added more than 200 jobs in the past 18 months. Not every new project has paid off so we will stop some activities in order to reallocate those resources and enable future experimentation. Organizations that do not make big bets and continuously evolve are the ones that fail.”
Trending on DML News
- POLL: Should U.S. taxpayers have to fund education for illegal alien children?
- BREAKING: Two injured in Indiana school shooting, shooter in custody
- REPORT: Michael Flynn tweets, deletes photo of Hillary Clinton with accused sex offender
- REPORT: Estimated 7,000 bodies may be buried at former asylum
- Trump Tweets: Releases a Twitter Storm against Dems!
- REPORT: Trump taps vocal anti-illegal immigration advocate for State Dept’s top refugee job
- REPORT: State Department warns of dangerous destinations in Mexico for Memorial Day weekend
- VIDEO: Assange may be forced from Embassy, wants to share information about ‘collusion’
- REPORT: Customers suing McDonald’s for $5M over cheese
- VIDEO: Fox Business’ Lou Dobbs launches harsh attack against Trey Gowdy