REPORT: Manufacturing employer in S. Carolina county may be shutting down over tariffs
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by TheHill.com:
Element Electronics, a consumer electronics company in South Carolina, says it will be closing its plant in Winnsboro due to tariffs imposed by President Trump.
The State reported Tuesday that the company was one of the largest remaining employers in Fairfield County after the local Walmart, which used to be the largest grocery store in the county, closed its doors two years ago.
DML News offers the following information published by The State:
In a letter to the S.C. Department of Employment and Workforce obtained by The State, Element wrote “the layoff and closure is a result of the new tariffs that were recently and unexpectedly imposed on many goods imported from China, including the key television components used in our assembly operations in Winnsboro.”
Element said it hoped the closure would be temporary, adding the plant could “re-open in three to six months, but we cannot predict this with any certainty at this time.” The company said layoffs would begin in October.
In a Twitter post (see below) Element Electronics said they believe the “inclusion of our parts on the list of affected products is “accidental and resolvable.” They are hoping to avoid closure of the plant and are working to remove their products from the tariff list to “save our US factory and impacted jobs.”
— Element Electronics (@ElementTVs) August 7, 2018
News: Fairfield County, which has lost several of its largest employers in the past few years, is losing another 126 jobs. TV-maker Element Electronics is blaming Trump’s tariffs in deciding to close its Winnsboro plant https://t.co/f5SWInOEsp
— Avery Wilks (@AveryGWilks) August 6, 2018
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting TheHill.com
Trending on DML News
- VIDEO: Ohio woman’s cancer disappears after groundbreaking clinical trial
- REPORT: McConnell responds to news of fiery White House meeting
- REPORT: Vice President Pence became a viral meme on Twitter today
- VIDEO: Two Youth Severely Injured after Falling off Border Wall
- BREAKING: Mexico is closing off border in key region
- REPORT: The one particular person who wasn’t invited to George H.W. Bush’s funeral
- BREAKING: Sentence announced for Michael Cohen, President Trump’s Ex-Lawyer
- BREAKING: Publisher of National Enquirer claims it paid hush money to help Trump
- REPORT: Dad heard three-year-old daughter scream as uncle slashed her throat (VIDEO)
- BREAKING: Kansas state Republican switches party affiliation to Democrat