REPORT: Mexican officials to meet with Pence in last-ditch effort to avert tariffs
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by TheHill.com:
Vice President Pence on Wednesday will meet with top Mexican officials who are seeking to persuade the Trump administration to abandon plans to impose sweeping tariffs that leaders on both sides of the border warn could damage the continent’s economy.
Frustrated by increasing levels of illegal migration, an issue he pledged to address during the 2016 campaign, Trump suddenly announced last week he would slap a 5 percent tariff on all Mexican goods beginning on Monday, tariffs which could rise to 25 percent by October unless Mexico cracks down on illegal border crossings.
The article goes on to state the following:
Trump said Tuesday during a press conference in London that “it’s more likely that the tariffs go on” according to schedule, dimming hopes for a quick resolution during Wednesday’s meeting at the White House.
Mexican Foreign Minister Marcelo Ebrard plans to argue that his country has already taken steps to detain more migrants as well as other steps designed to prevent them from crossing into the U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo left Trump’s trip in Europe to attend the meeting in Washington. U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer is also expected to be in attendance.
Just prior to the meeting, Border Patrol released the updated numbers for May, showing over 144,000 apprehensions and inadmissibles for the month – up from 109,000 in April.
.@SecPompeo, @DHSMcAleenan, & I will meet shortly with Mexican Secretary of Foreign Affairs @M_ebrard at the @WhiteHouse. We have a crisis on our Southern Border. @POTUS has made clear that Mexico must do more. https://t.co/XiNBgtrg8i
— Vice President Mike Pence (@VP) June 5, 2019
CBP continues to face a worsening crisis at the Southwest border. In May, CBP apprehended or deemed inadmissible 144,278 individuals along the SWB—a 32% increase over the previous month. Details here: https://t.co/ru9AsalgPb pic.twitter.com/p8kcr5lZ7Y
— CBP (@CBP) June 5, 2019
WATCH: Republican senators ramp up pressure on President Trump over Mexico tariffs.
VP Pence and Mexican officials will meet Wednesday to discuss the potential tariffs, which Trump said would begin to take effect June 10. pic.twitter.com/UK85NtbvEK
— MSNBC (@MSNBC) June 5, 2019
— The Hill (@thehill) June 5, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit TheHill.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: Rep. Gaetz makes rare move to join Dem on amendment to block Trump on Iran
- BREAKING: Minnesota Lawmaker Calls For Ethics Investigation Into Rep. Ilhan Omar [VIDEO]
- UPDATE: David Ortiz shooting: Authorities reveal plot to kill ‘Big Papi’, 6 detained
- REPORT: DNA tests reveal shocking percentage of suspected fraudulent migrant families were unrelated
- VIDEO: Trump presents Medal of Honor to Staff Sergeant David Bellavia
- REPORT: Tear Gas And Cages: What Immigration Enforcement Looked Like Under Vice President Joe Biden (PICTURES)
- BREAKING: Podium placement for first Democratic debate revealed
- REPORT: Gillibrand announces progress toward securing 9/11 victim benefits
- REPORT: ‘Latinos For Trump’ Launching In Miami as Democrats target Florida Hispanics for 2020
- REPORT: Young female cop shot and killed just 2 weeks after being sworn in