REPORT: Military Judge issues stunning ruling on 9/11 Guantánamo detainees
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by NYTimes.com:
In a potentially major setback for the effort to prosecute five Guantánamo Bay detainees accused of aiding the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, a military commission judge ruled on Friday that prosecutors may not use a key piece of evidence against the men: statements they made to F.B.I. interrogators shortly after their transfer out of the C.I.A.’s “black site” prisons nearly a dozen years ago.
The decision brought to a head a long-running and potentially irreconcilable tension in the case: Defense lawyers say they need to thoroughly investigate the torture of their clients at the hands of the C.I.A. for there to be a fair death penalty trial. But the government says there is a national security imperative to keep certain facts related to that period — like the identities of C.I.A. personnel who worked at certain prisons — secret.
The article goes on to state the following:
The ruling centered on a fight over a technique the F.B.I. used to try to get statements out of the detainees — including Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, the self-described architect of the attacks — that could be used as courtroom evidence, despite their abuse in C.I.A. custody.
To attenuate that, the bureau sent in a “clean team,” whose agents did not know what the detainees had previously said, to start over with questioning them. But defense lawyers argue that the lingering effects of their clients’ previous torture tainted those interrogation sessions, too.
CLICK HERE to view the complete ruling.
U.S. military commission judge rules Friday that prosecutors may not use a key piece of evidence to prosecute 5 Guantánamo Bay detainees, including Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, accused of aiding the Sept. 11 attacks. https://t.co/XvK31d2sat – @nytimes
— Breaking News (@BreakingNews) August 18, 2018
To weigh in on this information provided by NYTimes.com, engage in our LIVE CHAT below. Scroll down.
This is, indeed, a big development in the #GTMO military commission trial of the 9/11 defendants.
It’ll be fascinating to see Judge Pohl’s order once it’s released, but this has been a real source of contention, and, at least to me, it’s a surprising setback for the government. https://t.co/hO1n77KpgY
— Steve Vladeck (@steve_vladeck) August 18, 2018
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting NYTimes.com
Trending on DML News
- Border Protection seized enough fentanyl to kill entire population of the United States
- RESEARCH: Number of Muslims in the US; how many are radical; impact on welfare
- REPORT: Mark Meadows views NEW ‘Strzok coverup’ material at DOJ
- POLL: Should Tucker Carlson be fired from Fox News?
- Princess Diana’s death was no accident, say couple who witnessed crash
- Cost of open borders exposed in Muslim refugee oath (video)
- Heat wave dubbed the ‘death ridge’ will scorch the southeastern US
- REPORT: Trump vows to ‘end’ Iran amid ‘threats’
- POLL: Should Adam Schiff be removed from office for lying to the American public?
- REPORT: Calif. Senate passes humongous spending plan that would expand benefits to people in U.S. illegally