REPORT: Mueller aims to block Manafort from using certain defense arguments
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by Bloomberg:
U.S. Special Counsel Robert Mueller asked a federal judge to block Paul Manafort, President Donald Trump’s former campaign chairman, from arguing at his trial in September that prosecutors are selectively targeting him for vindictive reasons.
Prosecutors also want to bar Manafort from introducing evidence that he was previously investigated but not charged before Mueller was appointed in May 2017. The requests came in a court filing Monday in Washington, where Manafort is accused of money laundering, obstruction of justice and failing to register as a foreign agent of Ukraine.
The article goes on to state the following:
In the filing, prosecutors asked U.S. District Judge Amy Berman Jackson to preclude Manafort from arguing to jurors about Mueller’s motive or the scope of his appointment.
“The government’s reasons for initiating a prosecution have nothing to do with whether the evidence at trial proves the elements of the charged offenses, which is the sole question that the jury must answer,” prosecutors Andrew Weissmann and Greg Andres argued in the seven-page filing.
They also argued that Manafort, 69, shouldn’t suggest that “prosecutors in this case have resurrected charges that the Department of Justice previously investigated but declined to prosecute or determined not to be meritorious.”
Such an argument would be misleading, they wrote…
To weigh in on this information provided by Bloomberg, engage in our LIVE CHAT below. Scroll down.
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting Bloomberg
Trending on DML News
- EXCLUSIVE: Obama lashes out at Republicans over ruling against his ‘Obamacare’ program’, urges more people to enroll
- VIDEO: Trump makes unannounced visit to Arlington National Cemetery during laying of wreaths
- VIDEO: Father of Guatemalan girl who died in US custody speaks out
- VIDEO: Walmart employee goes rogue, uses intercom to announce he’s quitting: ‘Nobody should work here – ever!’
- REPORT: Bombshell report contradicts Kamala Harris’s claim denying knowledge of misconduct allegations against aide
- REPORT: Documents reveal urgent actions taken by Obama State Department on ‘Russiagate’ just prior to Trump inauguration
- VIDEO: Ginsburg responds to question about her health and her ribs
- VIDEO: Here’s why a Vermont man put up a giant, illuminated middle finger sculpture on his front lawn
- REPORT: John McCain’s family turns on Martha McSally
- BREAKING: Hillary Clinton files new answers under oath about email system, blames husband’s aide