REPORT: New California governor’s wife to go by different title in nod to ‘gender equality’
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by YAHOO.COM:
In a bold stand for gender equality, Jennifer Siebel Newsom insists she be called California governor Gavin Newsom’s “first partner.”
The filmmaker and women’s rights advocate is eschewing the traditional “first lady” title, instead going by what she feels is more apt because “we’re going to have a female governor someday soon,” she told POLITICO. The official site for the California governor also lists Siebel Newsom as first partner.
“There’s a status quo that devalues women and, unfortunately, puts women as second-class citizens in this country,” Siebel Newsom tells MAKERS. “People need to be awakened and re-educated to our own internal sexism and acceptance of the status quo.”
The article goes on to state the following:
“I couldn’t imagine raising a healthy girl in a culture that objectifies, demeans and degrades women on a regular basis,” says the mother of four. “I knew I had to question it and I knew I had to explore it.”
Siebel Newsom did that with her award-winning film Miss Representation, a documentary about the underrepresentation of women in power and influence that “challenged the media’s limited portrayal of what it means to be a powerful woman.”
In her second film, The Mask You Live In, the award-winning filmmaker flipped the script, examining how “our culture’s narrow definition of masculinity is harming boys, men and society at large.”
After an overwhelming response to her first film, Siebel Newsom launched The Representation Project, a nonprofit that inspires individuals and communities to challenge gender stereotypes and shift norms using film and media.
CLICK HERE to read more.
Today was joyous beyond measure, and it is the honor of a lifetime to serve the people of California.
Gavin-I love you, I’m so grateful for this journey with you, and I’m already so proud of the way you are using your courageous heart and brilliant mind to lead this great state. pic.twitter.com/y5m5sm4blO
— Jennifer Siebel Newsom (@JenSiebelNewsom) January 8, 2019
This has to be a first in #California! Jennifer Siebel Newsom doesn’t want to be referred as the “First Lady” but rather “First Partner.” The pic is from her bio. https://t.co/AsKzuzUACz @KTVU pic.twitter.com/du7yKVClsQ
— Sara Zendehnam (@szendehnam) January 8, 2019
The filmmaker and women’s rights advocate is ditching the traditional “first lady” title because “we’re going to have a female governor someday soon.” 👏👏 https://t.co/INNm47FAD3
— MAKERS (@MAKERSwomen) January 9, 2019
First Partner Trump could not be reached for comment. https://t.co/zZqBq3NgdQ
— Kelsey Harkness (@kelseyjharkness) January 9, 2019
Just noticed while poking through gov websites that Gavin Newsom’s wife Jennifer is not referred to as “first lady.” She’s officially the “first partner.” https://t.co/9U6h2xQAug
— Dave Weigel (@daveweigel) January 10, 2019
— John Winger (@Mr_Push_Ups) January 10, 2019
— KTVU (@KTVU) January 8, 2019
Happy New Years from our family to yours! May the new year bring in more love, joy, and care- and a renewed commitment to each other and our sense of community. Excited to support this great state and the people that live here. Grateful always. Here’s to 2019! ✨ pic.twitter.com/t7lFdU3NyO
— Jennifer Siebel Newsom (@JenSiebelNewsom) January 1, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit YAHOO.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: Rep. Gaetz makes rare move to join Dem on amendment to block Trump on Iran
- BREAKING: Minnesota Lawmaker Calls For Ethics Investigation Into Rep. Ilhan Omar [VIDEO]
- REPORT: DNA tests reveal shocking percentage of suspected fraudulent migrant families were unrelated
- VIDEO: Trump presents Medal of Honor to Staff Sergeant David Bellavia
- REPORT: Tear Gas And Cages: What Immigration Enforcement Looked Like Under Vice President Joe Biden (PICTURES)
- BREAKING: Podium placement for first Democratic debate revealed
- REPORT: Gillibrand announces progress toward securing 9/11 victim benefits
- Text messages discredit anti-gun march organizer’s alleged statement claiming Hunter Pollack was invited to speak at march
- REPORT: Iranian president lashes out with insult at Trump White House amid new sanctions
- VIDEO: Nunes threatens ninth criminal referral, says Trump-Russia conspiracy peddlers are ‘possessed’